🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to know if a job posting is legit?
Page options
upwork4amy
Community Member

How to know if a job posting is legit?

I am new to upwork. I submitted my proposal for a position. I did get a message back but do not know if legit? Person said interview at a time-no time zone or date? Also they left their phone #.

So how can I tell if I should submit proposals if "not verified".

Thank You,

Amy

10 REPLIES 10
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Amy G wrote:

I am new to upwork. I submitted my proposal for a position. I did get a message back but do not know if legit? Person said interview at a time-no time zone or date? Also they left their phone #.

So how can I tell if I should submit proposals if "not verified".

Thank You,

Amy

Nothing wrong with payment unverified jobs. But as a newbie, better stay away from them for now. You have not been hired, so go to the job posting and flag it for violation (contains contact information). They are not allowed to give you their phone number, or you to call them before hire.

What is the process then? Does someone ask for an interview and how does
that work?

Amy G wrote:
What is the process then? Does someone ask for an interview and how does
that work?

Everything stays on upwork before hire. You can use zoom, messenger, the call function, all on upwork. If a potential client does not want to do that, wish them the best, and stop talking to them. 

Hello Martina. I just want to add that these past few days there are a lot similar job postings that show their contact details specifically WhatsApp number.  Aside from us flagging them as inappropriate, what else can Upwork do so these posts don't occur frequently.

Froilan I wrote:

Hello Martina. I just want to add that these past few days there are a lot similar job postings that show their contact details specifically WhatsApp number.  Aside from us flagging them as inappropriate, what else can Upwork do so these posts don't occur frequently.

I would hope that the algorithm recognizes that problem and deals with it quickly, but it seems not to be the case. It should be easy enough for it to find job postings containing contact information. 

meadowssarah
Community Member

Does this mean that no communication should be done through a skype link prior to hire?

For me personally, yes - I avoid any communications outside Upwork before contract started. Even during the contract, I prefer any messaging happens inside Upwork chat, it allows us to schedule a video call as well so I think no issue to keep everything happens inside Upwork. If clients really need to have my personal contact (ie. for file sharing, google drive etc), I always give them my work email. Rare to find but if there's a problem happen between us & clients, its easier to track by keeping all communication history within the platform.

Thank you for responding! I am so glad I found this information before I got myself into a bad situation like I was headed to do. I really appreciate the information!! 

Sarah M wrote:

Does this mean that no communication should be done through a skype link prior to hire?

Exact, communicating outside of Upwork before being formally hired on Upwork is a violation of Terms of Service

meadowssarah
Community Member

Thank you for replying, you helped me stay away from a potentially terrible situation!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members