🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to know if my client has verified their i...
Page options
mina_ouss
Community Member

How to know if my client has verified their identity or not?

I want to know if my client is who is claiming to be (their name and picture), how do I know if they have verified their identity with the upwork team?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
pudingstudio
Community Member

Mina O wrote:

I want to know if my client is who is claiming to be (their name and picture), how do I know if they have verified their identity with the upwork team?

Thank you

Have they verified their payment method?

If yes, than.. They can be Duffy Duck, right? It's all the same for you.

Their identity is not important (unlike freelancers, which very much is).

kirnazdogan
Community Member

I don't think clients need to verify their identity, even if so, Upwork doesn't share it with us. So what we need to trust them is a verified payment method. And, you can see it under their job posts with a blue checkmark badge.

payment-verified.jpg

Clients don't need to verify their identities. They verify their payment methods.

That is what matters to freelancers: That the client is actually able to pay us.

As a freelancer, I look for the blue "payment verified" checkmark that indicates a client has verified their payment. I will not start working for a client whose payment method has not been verified.

Clients do not need to post a photo of themselves. Or prove their name or location. That's fine.

I want Upwork to make it as easy as possible for clients to post jobs and pay money to clients.

But this means that there IS some responsbility for freelancers: Clients payment methods can be verified, but that does not mean that a client or her job posting is "vetted." Experienced and knowledgeable freelancers have no problem with this. But sometimes we see newbies get frustrated because they mistakenly think that Upwork "checks out" or "verifies" the quality of every client and job. (Upwork does not do so.)

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members