cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to know if my client is legit

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 28

Did he award you the job? Linking you to an outside platform to get feedback is normal, but asking you to work without awarding you the job is not OK.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
12 of 28

@regine v wrote:

Hi I'm a newbie here in Upwork and today I just received 1 active candidacies, 

Regine,

An 'active candidacy' is just that - and nothing more. As Jennifer pointed it, it doesn't mean the client has hired you.

He needs to send you an offer, that you can review and then accept or decline. Once that has happened, the job will show in your 'My Jobs' tab and the candidacy will disappear from the 'Proposals' page.

Don't do any work or log in to any websites until you have been properly hired.

If and when you have been hired, take into consideration Michael's suggestions below!

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
13 of 28

regine,

Leaving the site is not the issue. The issues are that your prospect wants you to:

• use outside facilities for the management of your job
  • presumably, use outside facilities for (likely quite hypothetical) payment
  • use someone/thing else's already established account
  • follow "a[]lot of instructions about [your] job" when you have no job, only a candidacy

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 28

Regine,

This client is PROBABLY just wasting your time and trying to scam money off of you. But we don't know that for certain yet.

You can send him a short note saying:

"Thank you for your interest in working with me. Please use Upwork's client-side interface to send me a "Hire" button for an hourly contract. I can start working on your project as soon as I see that."

Then you WILL NOT RESPOND TO the client unless he does that. If he hires you OFFICIALLY WITH AN UPWORK CONTRACT, then feel free to work for him, as long as you do not need to enter personal information into a website or pay him anything or do anything "scammy."

If the client needs to communicate with you in any way, you will log time and bill him for your time for all the time you spend reading his instructions or communicating with him, whether it be via email or Skype or whatever.

This client will probably never write back to you again.

But maybe we misunderstood this client and his intentions.

There ARE LEGITIMATE JOBS that require you to log into external websites using a username and password that a client provides (NOT PROVIDING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION or username/password information you use on any personal accounts).

If this is a legitimate job that we misunderstood, then the client can pay you for your time, including training. If the client doesn't hire you so that you can see his job listed in your "Jobs" tab on Upwork and so that you can begin logging time, then ignore all communications from this client and block him as much as you can.

Brittney L Member Since: Nov 11, 2018
15 of 28

how will i know if there is a contract

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 28

@Brittney L wrote:

how will i know if there is a contract

Go to your My Jobs Page - If you have a contract it will show there.

Usually you should remember receiving and accepting an offer?

Go to your Proposals Page. Does it show an offer there (under the first heading "Offers"?

Brittney L Member Since: Nov 11, 2018
17 of 28

what if the client says you wil get paid every few sessions and how do i find if they have had previos work

Irene R Member Since: Feb 29, 2016
18 of 28

Hi! 

I'm also a newbie here. Last Feb. 18, I received a message from someone(Client) asking me if I'm still interested with their task. So, I respond right away that yes I'am. And we discussed all  about the task, payment, deadline, milestone, etc. I also reviewed his post, feedback, spend, etc, and everything was fine. And I'm so happy that time, cause I got my first job! (a real job, from a real client, not a scammer, I'm hoping), and that I will be able to earn extra to help my brother who is really sick. Since then nothing comes to my mind but to do my best to finish the given task, to empress my client(so I could get a milestone, good review, and earn more), and to do my job ahead of time (I spend most of the time just to finish that project). I sent him the task in upwork inbox.

He said:

I apologise for not getting back to you. I am currently away on business. I am hoping to check through your work tomorrow.

Apologies for the delay.

I said:

no worries.  Anyway I'm just one message away. Have a great day ahead!

he said: 

At first glance the work looks great!

he said: 

Many thanks Irene!

But the sad part is, I forgot about the contract, and the milestone which is very important. The deadline of the task given to me was Last Feb. 26, and I submit it to him on the 24 for him to review if I did it right or what. So I will be able to receive my reward from that task. But until now, he didn't respond to any message I sent to him.

After I sent him the task here in upwork, he never go online since then. 

Did he blocked me? why I still have 1 active candidacy?  Did I do something wrong? 

Need your advice pls.

Thank you in advance, and God bless us all!

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
19 of 28

Hi Irene,

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, you were not hired for the job you completed. 

If you go to Find Work > Job Applications you will be able to check whether any of your applications were accepted. Applications you see in the "Active Candidacies" section have been accepted and the client would like to discuss the job further or have an interview with you, but that doesn't mean the job is awarded to you.

Don't start working without an active contract, which would show in your "My Jobs" tab. You can find more details here.

Please report the client to Support and share screenshots of your communication and tasks you worked on.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Irene R Member Since: Feb 29, 2016
20 of 28

Yes, base on our conversation in my inbox. But I wasn't able to get the actual contract since I'm so excited about getting this job done to empress him, and I trusted him as my first client. So, I guess it's my bad too, cause I let him do it later. But I didn't expect that later than this. Lesson learned here... And I surely do as you guys say.  Anyway, Thank you very much for your response! Really appreciated much.... Smiley Happy 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS