Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to know if my client is legit

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
21 of 28

Did the client HIRE you? Is there a contract under "my jobs?"

if there is only an active candidacy and no contract you were not hired and the client could not pay you if he wanrpted to, and you should not have done any work at all, let alone sent it to the client....

When you click on your "My Jobs" tab, what do you see?

is the job there?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
22 of 28

Irene:

I am impressed by your positive attitude.

It is true that you will not be paid money for this work, but the lesson you learned is much more valuable than money.

You won't make the same mistake again, and you can succeed on Upwork if you continue to be positive and continue to learn.

Thank you for sharing your story here in the forum.

Irene R Member Since: Feb 29, 2016
23 of 28

Petra R,

Yes, the way we discussed eveything, He hired me. That's why I'm so confident to do the job, and aimed to impress him as my first client. 

Is there a contract under "my jobs"?

But no, upon checking the "my jobs" the job contract wasn't there.

But as a client who hired people to work for them, it should be their responsibility to pay someone who do the job for them right? vise versa. Especially if you know that, that person worked hard to finished everything ahead of time. But I guess that person have no heart at all, God is watching!

Thank you for you advice! I'll do that next time.... Smiley Happy

Irene

Laurence A Member Since: Apr 3, 2016
24 of 28

Hello, I Am Newbie here. I have this one candidacy. And I did his test outside Upwork. After complying to the instruction he gave me, he emailed me and one thing that bothers me is that he is asking for a server fee(joining fee) 60 USD. together with his email is a contract in a form of MS word and instruction again. Can anyone tell me if this is how it works here? Thank You in advance. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
25 of 28

No it is not legit. You should not have done ANY work for the client off site, and the job and the 'client' is a scam. You must report this job to customer services and before you apply for any more work, do yourself a favour and read Upwork's terms of service, what clients and freelancers may or may not do, all the help pages, and the two top forum threads on how to get a job and the scams to avoid.

26 of 28

@ Nichola L.

Thank you very much for that information Ma'am. I appreciate it much. 

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
27 of 28

You should never, ever, ever, never have to pay a client to start a position.  If this is what your client is proposing, please report them to CS and run.  Meanwhile, check out this thread.  It will be of great help. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
28 of 28

@ Katrina B

Thank You for your information. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS