🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to maintain job success score
Page options
polyniki
Community Member

How to maintain job success score

Hey everybody,

pardon if this has been asked before. How exactly does one maintain their high job success score? Surely it depends on good reviews, but how often do I need to get new job offers? Do low pay 10USD jobs count just as much as bigger jobs? Do long term clients count? Like if I have a long term client but rarely any new jobs, will I still keep a high score? Any other criteria to maintain the current JSS?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
niag
Community Member

A consistent stream of successful contracts (and very few unsuccessful ones) is what keeps JSS high. 

Long-term contracts can help to boost your score but as stated here, not having them doesn't count against you. Small projects are surely taken into account as well. 

I don't know whether or not job offers are taken into account as JSS is mainly related to contracts. 

We don't know all that is encompassed in the Job Success Score calculation so it's hard to say for sure what things (other than the factors Upwork has revealed) affect it. 

At the end of the day, though, there's no need to break it down to a science. Just focus on providing as much value as possible to your clients and there will be no need to worry about your Job Success Score. It will stay high! 

richard_wein
Community Member

Polyniki V wrote:

Hey everybody,

pardon if this has been asked before. How exactly does one maintain their high job success score? Surely it depends on good reviews, but how often do I need to get new job offers? Do low pay 10USD jobs count just as much as bigger jobs? Do long term clients count? Like if I have a long term client but rarely any new jobs, will I still keep a high score? Any other criteria to maintain the current JSS?

Thanks!

> how often do I need to get new job offers?

It doesn't matter. JSS is basically an average, so 9 great jobs out of 10 is as good as 90 out of 100. (But having more jobs done makes you less vulnerable to one bad result.)

Also, job offers don't matter unless you accept the offer.

ETA. To keep your JSS at all, you need to have completed a minimum number of jobs in the last 2 years. I'm not sure exactly what the number is. (It might be the same as the criterion for getting a JSS in the first place, but I'm not sure.)

> Do low pay 10USD jobs count just as much as bigger jobs?

Yes.

> Do long term clients count? Like if I have a long term client but rarely any new jobs, will I still keep a high score?

Long-term clients who haven't paid you recently probably don't help. I don't think anyone outside Upwork knows for sure what the long-term client algorithm is, but most likely you get a JSS boost if a long-term client has paid you recently (maybe in the last month). So it's not a permanent increase.

My tips for having a good JSS:

1. Do a great job every time (obviously).

2. Choose your clients carefully. Don't ignore red flags. Remember that you can back out without penalty any time until you've accepted the job offer.

3. Try to do repeat jobs for the same client. If a client has given you one good feedback, they'll probably give you good feedback again. New clients are more of a risk.

4. Don't accept a job until you're ready to start work immediately. Otherwise, if the client changes they're mind and closes the job before you've started work, you'll end up with a no-earnings contract, which is bad for JSS.

5.  When a job's finished, ask the client to close the job (so they'll have to leave feedback). Exception: if you're not confident about the feedback you'll get, consider closing the job yourself (and maybe the client won't leave any feedback).

6. Become top-rated, so you have the feedback removal perk available.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Resist the urge to tidy up your job history by closing old jobs where the client has disappeared and is unlikely to leave feedback. An occasional 'no feedback' is not a problem but too many in a cluster can hurt your JSS (whereas, letting those sit there forever idle doesn't hurt at all, provided money was earned at some point). If you must tidy up, then close old jobs one at a time whenever a client closes a more recent one and leaves fb. That way, you won't get out of balance.

Thanks everybody, even though the algorithm is a mystery all of you have provided very helpful tips indeed! Heart

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members