Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to make up editing/proofreading samples for portfolio

Ace Contributor
Becky B Member Since: Feb 6, 2019
1 of 13

Hey everyone!

I would like to put some editing and proofreading samples in my portfolio.  I don't have any examples of my own.  What is the best way of going about making up samples?  Do I just randomly pick an article off the Internet and correct grammar/spelling/clarity?  Since it is already on the Internet, is it okay to make it a portfolio item (screenshots of before and after)?  

Just looking for the best way to get more diverse things into my profile.  So far all of my items are creative writing samples.

Thanks!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 13

Rather than just finding things on the Internet (which you don't necessarily have the right to use), I would advise you to do other things, including:

- Writing your own problematic samples, that you proofread and correct yourself

- Hiring freelancers - particularly non-writers or non-native English speakers - to write short pieces in response to a prompt, which you can then correct.

- Asking friends and family to write pieces that you can correct

Ace Contributor
3 of 13

Fantastic ideas, Preston.  Thank you!

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
4 of 13

I was going to suggest finding badly written texts online and proofreading/editing them in a document with tracked changes, but Preston's absolutely right.

One of the samples I used when first starting out was my cousin's personal statement that I edited for her. Another sample was free proofreading work that I did for a nonprofit.

But it doesn't really matter if you don't actually plan to offer proofreading and editing as a service, and nothing on your profile indicates that you do. What's wrong with sticking to writing samples if you're a writer -- are you planning to take on rewriting jobs or something similar?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 13

I guess I am trying to find my niche.  Writing is my true love, but I am really good at proofreading and editing.  I've done a lot for friend in the past (condensing something, correcting spelling and grammar, etc).  I want to send proposals for editing and proofreading in addition to writing, but just not sure if anyone would hire me without examples.

Community Guru
Yeasir A Member Since: May 16, 2017
6 of 13

Becky,

As writing is your niche, then make some samples of your writing and put them on your portfolio. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 13

Yeasir A wrote:

Becky,

As writing is your niche, then make some samples of your writing and put them on your portfolio. 

She already has plenty of those. If you had bothered to read her post, you would have seen that she wants to put samples for editing / proofreading in her portfolio.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
8 of 13

Becky, it was the exact same with me! Writing is my main passion, and that's what I started doing here, but I ended up focusing on proofreading & editing ...  I find that it's easier work and usually pays better.

So, follow Preston's advice, then go for it Smiley Happy Maybe you'll end up prioritizing editing instead of writing, like me.

Ace Contributor
9 of 13

Isabelle,

Did you make up editing/proofreading samples (like what Preston is suggesting) for your profile?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 13

Do you know any fellow writers who would let you play with some of their work without the friendship suffering?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS