Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make up editing/proofreading samples for portfolio

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
11 of 13

Becky B wrote:

I guess I am trying to find my niche.  Writing is my true love, but I am really good at proofreading and editing.  I've done a lot for friend in the past (condensing something, correcting spelling and grammar, etc).  I want to send proposals for editing and proofreading in addition to writing, but just not sure if anyone would hire me without examples.

No ... I had done free proofreading and editing (for family, nonprofits, etc. like mentioned above) when I was a student and the years after, so I already had some stuff to start off my portfolio ...

BUT, I must mention that I got my first proofreading and editing job on Upwork without any portfolio samples. The person who gave me a chance had (presumably) seen my good reviews for transcriptions, so she hired me. You have a nice review, so that's a good start.

I don't know what Upwork's like for a newbie these days, as I don't get much new work through the site, so it will help if you have something in your portfolio. Preston's and Petra's advice is good -- I can't suggest any better. Apart from that, once you've decided that you are going to apply for jobs in this area, you have to mention something about proofreading/editing in your title and/or overview, otherwise I think a client would more likely go with someone who focuses on only proofreading & editing and states  that on their profile.

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
12 of 13

Let's say this is a joke, OK?

I would copy some of the profiles on Upwork, whithout the names of the freelancers, of course. and correct them.

I know, this is very bad taste....

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
13 of 13

Luce N wrote:

Let's say this is a joke, OK?

I would copy some of the profiles on Upwork, whithout the names of the freelancers, of course. and correct them.

I know, this is very bad taste....

Thanks, Luce. I did not dare to suggest that.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS