Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make up editing/proofreading samples for portfolio

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
11 of 15

Becky B wrote:

I guess I am trying to find my niche.  Writing is my true love, but I am really good at proofreading and editing.  I've done a lot for friend in the past (condensing something, correcting spelling and grammar, etc).  I want to send proposals for editing and proofreading in addition to writing, but just not sure if anyone would hire me without examples.

No ... I had done free proofreading and editing (for family, nonprofits, etc. like mentioned above) when I was a student and the years after, so I already had some stuff to start off my portfolio ...

BUT, I must mention that I got my first proofreading and editing job on Upwork without any portfolio samples. The person who gave me a chance had (presumably) seen my good reviews for transcriptions, so she hired me. You have a nice review, so that's a good start.

I don't know what Upwork's like for a newbie these days, as I don't get much new work through the site, so it will help if you have something in your portfolio. Preston's and Petra's advice is good -- I can't suggest any better. Apart from that, once you've decided that you are going to apply for jobs in this area, you have to mention something about proofreading/editing in your title and/or overview, otherwise I think a client would more likely go with someone who focuses on only proofreading & editing and states  that on their profile.

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
12 of 15

Let's say this is a joke, OK?

I would copy some of the profiles on Upwork, whithout the names of the freelancers, of course. and correct them.

I know, this is very bad taste....

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
13 of 15

Luce N wrote:

Let's say this is a joke, OK?

I would copy some of the profiles on Upwork, whithout the names of the freelancers, of course. and correct them.

I know, this is very bad taste....

Thanks, Luce. I did not dare to suggest that.

Community Guru
Prachi T Member Since: Nov 4, 2017
16 of 15

Abid Ismail K wrote:

I guess I am trying to find my niche.  Writing is my true love, but I am really good at proofreading and editing.  I've done a lot for friend in the past (condensing something, correcting spelling and grammar, etc).  I want to send proposals for editing and proofreading in addition to writing, but just not sure if anyone would hire me without examples.

Corrected copy 

I guess I am trying to find my niche. Writing is my true love, but I am really good at proofreading and editing.  I've done a lot for my friends in the past (condensing something, correcting spelling and grammar, etc).  I want to send proposals for editing and proofreading in addition to writing, but am just not sure if anyone would hire me without examples.

Did you just copy this to your profile as a sample? Smiley Surprised

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 15

Abid Ismail K wrote:

(deleted because it wasn't his to post or correct)

Corrected copy 

(deleted because it wasn't his to post or correct)

More plagiarism. You can't just steal text and publish it and mess with it. What is wrong with you???

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS