Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make wages invisible?

podcaststudio
Community Leader
Michael O Member Since: Mar 28, 2016
1 of 8

I don't like the idea of my Upwork earnings be publically visible to the world/potential clients.

Is there away to make this info invisible???

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 8

Hi Michael,

If you are a Plus Plan member, you can hide your earnings from your Work History. Check out this help article for more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 8

@Michael K wrote:

I don't like the idea of my Upwork earnings be publically visible to the world/potential clients.

Yours are already set to private. BUT:

Clients you are in negotiation with / apply to, and work with can still see them (quite rightly so) and what you were paid still shows on the client side of things.

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
4 of 8

Michael K wrote:

Petra R wrote: 

Yours are already set to private. BUT:

Clients you are in negotiation with / apply to, and work with can still see them (quite rightly so) and what you were paid still shows on the client side of things.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Petra, that's great expansion of the information; but why do you state "quite rightly so?"   

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 8

@Pat M wrote:

Petra, that's great expansion of the information; but why do you state "quite rightly so?"   

Because I believe that a client has the right to see the history of the freelancer he is negotiating with.

Just as freelancers (if they have any sense) closely look at and analyze a client's hiring history, hire rate, feedback left and given, money paid on the platform,average hourly rate paid and what for, and what the client paid other freelancers for what work, a client should be able to see what the freelancer was paid for the work they have done as it helps them verify what they are being told.

Otherwise freelancers could just do a few projects for a Dollar to build up a fake profile, pretend the work done was massive projects, and the client would not be any the wiser.

"Privacy" from prying eyes is one thing. That should, however, be balanced with the need of transparency and both parties' right to base their decisions, including rates, on facts and not fiction.

It also helps freelancers as it makes people less likely to want to lowball initially to gain traction, in the belief it won't bite them afterwards to be seen to have done so.

purplepony
Community Guru
6 of 8

Pat M wrote:

Petra R wrote: 

Because I believe that a client has the right to see the history of the freelancer he is negotiating with.

Just as freelancers (if they have any sense) closely look at and analyze a client's hiring history, hire rate, feedback left and given, money paid on the platform,average hourly rate paid and what for, and what the client paid other freelancers for what work, a client should be able to see what the freelancer was paid for the work they have done as it helps them verify what they are being told.

Otherwise freelancers could just do a few projects for a Dollar to build up a fake profile, pretend the work done was massive projects, and the client would not be any the wiser.

"Privacy" from prying eyes is one thing. That should, however, be balanced with the need of transparency and both parties' right to base their decisions, including rates, on facts and not fiction.

It also helps freelancers as it makes people less likely to want to lowball initially to gain traction, in the belief it won't bite them afterwards to be seen to have done so.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't believe that past rates paid in previous situations are always true indications of what value can be provided in the future.  Massachusetts evidently agrees by recently passing the new Pay Equity Law (prospective employers not being allowed to ask potential employees their salary history).  I'm confident other states will follow.

Evidently I do have sense (at least as a Freelancer-lol) as I do consider the items you shared.  In addition, I perform additional research when enough detail is provided to do so; i.e.:  Client Business  Name/Personal Name, Website...  As you know, sometimes at least some of that is provided with the original project posting (sometimes by Freelancers in Feedbacks they've left); other times it comes later.  Due diligence is a must. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 8

Although it is not something I am interested in doing, I have no argument with a freelancer who wants to keep all of their earnings data private. And it is fine if they want to be able to use an avatar or icon instead of a photo, and it is fine if they want to use a "screen name" or a "handle" or a "pseudonym", along with "alternative" information identifying their location... whether this be a real place they've never been, or an imaginary place such as Tatooine or Shangri-La.

But they need to do these things on another website. That is not what Upwork is for.

Trying to use non-real information and trying to keep key information private goes against the grain of Upwork, which positions itself WAY on the other side of the spectrum in its emphasis on transparency and real information.

There is no way for Upwork to be all things to all people. There is no way for it to emphasize both transparency/accuracy about freelancers while at the same time accommodating every preference regarding privacy and the use of contrafactual alternative data.

purplepony
Community Guru
8 of 8

I previously stated and believe:  "I don't believe that past rates paid in previous situations are always true indications of what value can be provided in the future."  That being said I do think it appears suspicious when Freelancers note their earnings as "Private."  Perhaps because that appears to be quite rare on the Upwork platform.     I've personally never done it or considered doing it.

It may be worth note that there have been times I've received Invitations to Interview, and within the Proposal  Upwork has suggested I could charge a higher rate than my norm based on my skills, history, the project itself...  Whenever I've seen that I've thought that sounds great, but the potential Client has already seen my Profile which notes my rate.   

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS