cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to minimize risk to work for a client without payment verified, no review and no work history?

Highlighted
Alicia I Member Since: Jan 8, 2015
1 of 6

Hello there!

Could someone advise me that if I should work for a client without payment method verified, and have no review so far, and have no work history?
It is my first time to do work through odesk.

Or to minimize the risk of no payment, how could I make it work better?

Thank you for your help,
Alicia

Highlighted
Community Leader
Asif R Member Since: Jan 7, 2015
2 of 6

If you are new at Odesk then try to search most relevant jobs from verified members who are offering jobs. Non verified members may scam if there history on Odesk is low.

Asif Rehman
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 6
Go ahead and work for a new client. I do so often and it can be rewarding. Just don't spend too much time before getting paid. The client is the person who pays, but you are the professional expert. Take charge a bit. Explain that you are willing to do X amount of work, and that is one contract which will then be paid for. That amount of work should be no more than two or three hours worth of work, and no more than $100. If they ask why, it is because they are a first time client.
Highlighted
Community Leader
Manoj Kumar P Member Since: Nov 12, 2014
Highlighted
Alicia I Member Since: Jan 8, 2015
5 of 6

Thank you very much for your reply, Asif and Preston!

I will suggest first to do some little amount. Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Alicia

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
6 of 6

Having been negatively affected by the oDesk "mad robots" (algorithms) for over a year now (receiving few invites, not showing up in client searches, etc.), I had resorted to accepting jobs from clients that do not meet my own criteria for selecting the best jobs and the best clients -- for me as a freelancer.

Using the My Jobs > Contracts listing, the last seven clients (nine jobs) resulted in: lower pay overall, one client threatening bad feedback and attempting to abuse the Money-back Guarantee Program (Beta), no feedback and ratings from one hard to reach client (one client, two jobs), another hard to reach client, which prevented the contract from proceeding, and one client providing negative input in response to the ending contract anonymous questions...nothing but problematic clients not worth my time and effort.

Prior to the advent of the oDesk "mad robots" (algorithms), using my own criteria resulted in excellent online business relationships, rewarding revenues, spectacular feedback and ratings, and no negatives with regard to hidden performance metrics.

Collectively, those negative situations have a negative effect on freelancers' ability to gain jobs on oDesk. Thus, I have gone back to my own proven criteria for selecting what I perceive are the best jobs and the best clients for me on oDesk. Will that criteria result in more jobs? Probably not...not on oDesk anyway.

What are the chances of repairing the damages caused by others' actions or lack thereof? Not very good considering freelancers need to do better on future jobs that they probably will not even get. Bad robots.... 

My point, do your research, and choose your jobs and clients wisely....

Ron aka LanWanMan
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS