🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How to move from from corporates job to f...
Page options
chandradev819
Community Member

How to move from from corporates job to full freelance time job ?

Hi All,

I have 13+ yrs work experience with MNC company. I donot have any gap in Job. I m getting well paid in regular job. But i donot get freedom to take decision and work on my interested technologies.

I am thinking to shift in full time freelancer job. do you any suggestion ? what are best ways to move from corporates job to full freelance time job ? is there good career options there in this field ? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Chandradev,

The answer to your questions will depend on a lot of factors, including giving up whatever job security and benefits you have in your corporate job and:

1) Are you willing to spend 10 – 20 minutes each crafting a proposal for at least 100 jobs you find interesting during your first 2 – 3 months of using Upwork’s job search function?

2) Will you lose interest in freelancing if you initially find that you have to compete with other freelancers primarily based on offering your services at comparatively lower pricing in order to win new jobs?

3) Can you be happy working for at least one new boss with each proposal you win? And can you deal with the potential for each new boss to have inconsistent, changing demands because they either don’t understand their own project or they are hoping to get more work out of you than they have agreed to pay for?

4) Are you willing to read through and understand all of Upwork’s documentation in order to fully understand what is required of you to be a successful freelancer?

5) Do you understand how important Upwork’s Job Success Score (JSS) is for success in landing new jobs? And do you understand how the JSS works?

Many clients on Upwork are wonderful, easy-to-work-with professionals. Others are not. You won’t know for sure until you work with them.

If you can’t separate the wheat from the chaff in choosing the clients you choose to work for you will likely not have a happy experience as a freelancer. If you are patient and can afford to be choosy and not pressured to work for just any project that comes along, that will work in your favor.

So, give freelancing a try for a few months while you continue in your current job. But don’t jump the fence until you are sure the grass is not just greener over here, but also tastes better and there’s enough of it for you to eat well over the long term.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
lysis10
Community Member

Go to work and gut a fish on your desk. Tear down the cube walls. Things of that nature. Always come in 15 minutes late. Use the side door so Lumberg doesn't see you.

jared_k
Community Member

Don't forget the red swingline stapler

Jared K wrote:

Don't forget the red swingline stapler

Is this where you put your boss's stapler in jello?

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Chandradev,

The answer to your questions will depend on a lot of factors, including giving up whatever job security and benefits you have in your corporate job and:

1) Are you willing to spend 10 – 20 minutes each crafting a proposal for at least 100 jobs you find interesting during your first 2 – 3 months of using Upwork’s job search function?

2) Will you lose interest in freelancing if you initially find that you have to compete with other freelancers primarily based on offering your services at comparatively lower pricing in order to win new jobs?

3) Can you be happy working for at least one new boss with each proposal you win? And can you deal with the potential for each new boss to have inconsistent, changing demands because they either don’t understand their own project or they are hoping to get more work out of you than they have agreed to pay for?

4) Are you willing to read through and understand all of Upwork’s documentation in order to fully understand what is required of you to be a successful freelancer?

5) Do you understand how important Upwork’s Job Success Score (JSS) is for success in landing new jobs? And do you understand how the JSS works?

Many clients on Upwork are wonderful, easy-to-work-with professionals. Others are not. You won’t know for sure until you work with them.

If you can’t separate the wheat from the chaff in choosing the clients you choose to work for you will likely not have a happy experience as a freelancer. If you are patient and can afford to be choosy and not pressured to work for just any project that comes along, that will work in your favor.

So, give freelancing a try for a few months while you continue in your current job. But don’t jump the fence until you are sure the grass is not just greener over here, but also tastes better and there’s enough of it for you to eat well over the long term.

Good luck!

tlbp
Community Member

Chandradev S wrote:

Hi All,

I have 13+ yrs work experience with MNC company. I donot have any gap in Job. I m getting well paid in regular job. But i donot get freedom to take decision and work on my interested technologies.

I am thinking to shift in full time freelancer job. do you any suggestion ? what are best ways to move from corporates job to full freelance time job ? is there good career options there in this field ? 

Can you afford to go weeks or even months between freelance gigs? Alternatively, are you confident you can land enough clients to not have to go weeks or months between gigs? If you no longer had access to Upwork, could you still find paying clients? 
Freelancing comes with freedom and risks. 

Thanks all to sharing real time valid experience. I was seeing dream to become independent from long time.I was also working on that path from last one year. After seeing sucessful freelancer in this community, it motivates me to think on this options. I think like me so many people are frustracted from corporates job. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members