cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to pay a client with the least amount of wait time for the client?

f7075dbb
Daniel B Member Since: Jun 12, 2017
1 of 7

Hi there folks, Smiley Happy

I have a client whom I am on great terms with and I'd like to pay them so as they get the funds in the soonest possible time from Upwork.

They have a paypal account linked to their Upwork account. So if I choose to pay upfront as I hire them and release the funds on X day how long before those funds would hit their paypal account? Also is this the fastest way for them to receive funds?

I've done my research but I also hear in the wind that some people have achieved a 3 day turn around. Wondering if there is any substance to this and if there is any quicker way.

Thank you in advance

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 7

There's a five day security hold on all payments. After that, withdrawals can be made pretty instantaneously... so five days is the minimum they'll get the money. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)

View solution in original post

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
3 of 7

The shorter hold you've heard rumored is real. However, it's an Upwork experiment. The criteria for eligibility are unknown, and there is no way to apply for the pilot/test program.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 7

I assume you mean you're a client paying a freelancer, not the other way around...

While your desire is commendable, just remember that if things *do* go south, if you've paid up-front you'll have no recourse through Upwork to recover any of those funds. A great freelancer wouldn't expect to be paid up-front before they've actually done the work, and would have sufficient control over their cashflow to not be reliant on you paying them before they've even got started.

I'd be very wary of paying before the work is done, no matter how great your relationship is with that freelancer, and would definitely recommend against making it a habit.

f7075dbb
Daniel B Member Since: Jun 12, 2017
5 of 7

Thank you folks for the quick responses. Smiley Happy 

I'll reply in chronological order.. 

- Thanks. That clarifies things. Looks like that is the way it will stay then.

- Oh I see, well I hope it becomes an option and gets out of it's experimental stage soon. 

- Yes, got my freelancer / cleint wires crossed, glad you made sense of what I meant. My endevour wasn't to pay before work has been completed but rather to ensure that the freelancer is paid in the shortest possible time upon completing the work. I could be this uptight prentious boss and not give a flying hoot but truth be told, I am one of those Cleints that will go above and beyond to ensure the best for the freelancers who do work for me. It's a give n take relationship and lets face it, I'm sure any cleint on here would appreciate a freelancer going above and beyond for them, so all I'm doing is applying this vica versa. Smiley Happy

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 7

Daniel, the only thing that is in your control is how quickly you release milestones on fixed-price contracts. Hourly contracts are on a set schedule. If you want your freelancers to receive their payment as quickly as possible, approve the milestones as quickly as possible AFTER you have reviewed the work for the milestone.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 7

Just a reminder that advance payment is common in some industries: A client who has agreed to an advance can release payment upon confirmation of a contract.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS