cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to prepare for an interview

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 18

Interviews with potential clients can be stressful and hard to predict. Questions vary based on the interviewer and position. How do you prepare for an interview? What are your tricks for success and what sorts of questions do you seem to get asked a lot?

We would love to hear some of your tips on how to nail an interview.

Untitled
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
2 of 18

Different jobs reqire different questions, but these are some generic ones that I think apply across the board:

Common Questions

1. Why do you want to work for our company?

2. What hours can you work?

3. How long have you been an independant contractor?

4. Give me some examples of work you did for a past client that relates to our company

5. Are you availble full time / long term if we need that later on?

6. (For non US freelancers) How good is your written/spoken English?

7. Do you have a mic / cell phone / landine?

8. What kind of college or corporate work experince do you have?

9. How would you handle not being able to complete a job because you don't have all the information?

10. If you had to describe yourself with 3 words, what would they be?

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
3 of 18

"6. (For non US freelancers) How god is your written/spoken English?"

Sorry Pandora, I could not resist. Woman Very Happy

I have to say that the interviews I've had have usually been very straight-forward. Mostly I get asked things like

1. Can you start immediately?

2. Can you finish it by xx?

3. How much would you charge per word (if a translation / writing project).

But I assume that is the nature of the projects I've been interviewed for thus far. Of course sample of previous works are also often asked for, so having a good portfolio handy is really a key factor in doing well with interviews on a platform like this where jobs go fast.

Something else I would urge people to be conscious of when entering and interview stage is the time difference between you and your client. I would make sure I know how much it is. Especially if the interview relates to a project with a tight deadline, as they might give you the deadline in their time-zone, and the difference might be 4, 8, even 11 hours. Make sure to discuss what timezone the deadline is in, assuming it is a rush project.

//precious or previous works... lol

Community Guru
4 of 18

@Hanna

Ack! That is what I get for trying to type up something quick!

Also, your point about different time zones is a very good one. While I personally tend to work with US clients, if the client is more then 2 hours ahead, or behind you, mak sure communication with clients about task due dates, meetings times, etc is correct.

I've goofed a couple of times with this, and it led to missed  or delayed meetings. Of course, clients have goofed too, heh.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
5 of 18

The one thing I miss about Windows 7 is the row of clocks I used to have, Ops Room-style, along the top of my screen. I had one for every timezone I have clients in. Windows 10 doesn't seem to be able to do that, sadly.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
6 of 18

@fergus M wrote:

The one thing I miss about Windows 7 is the row of clocks I used to have, Ops Room-style, along the top of my screen. I had one for every timezone I have clients in. Windows 10 doesn't seem to be able to do that, sadly.

I have a Rainmeter widget that does that. It's nifty Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 18

lol Fergus.

For the hours one though, I like to go with "I only have about 4-5 hours of actual work in me each day, and I go to the gym from 9:30-10:30, so I'm out of pocket." You know so many 9-5ers are like "umm must be nice." lol

Community Guru
8 of 18

Ooooh! I can answer those!

1. Why do you want to work for our company?

I don't. I just want to do this job for you. I'm a freelancer.

2. What hours can you work?

What hours do you have?

3. How long have you been an independant contractor?

I can't remember. However long it says on my profile.

4. Give me some examples of work you did for a past client that relates to our company

That's in my profile too.

5. Are you availble full time / long term if we need that later on?

Nope. Still a freelancer.

6. (For non US freelancers) How god is your written/spoken English?

I'm British. We invented English. Did you know there's a "U" in "colour"?

7. Do you have a mic / cell phone / landine?

Probably. My desk is kind of cluttered right now. If I find anything like that I'll let you know.

8. What kind of college or corporate work experince do you have?

That's classified.

9. How would you handle not being able to complete a job because you don't have all the information?

The same way as I complete every other job: I just make stuff up.

10. If you had to describe yourself with 3 words, what would they be?

Just hire me.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
9 of 18

Hi Fergus,

Your answers suits your Jack Reacher/ Chuck Norris kind-of image Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

on an unrelated topic.....the English crumbling agains the Aussies (5th Investec Ashes)

Community Guru
10 of 18

Chuck Norris? Ugh, no. Darwin was right.

As for the cricket I'm actually Scottish, so I can't help you there. Something to do with bats and googlies?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS