Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to protect yourself from disputes and arbitration

dsmgdesign
Community Guru
David S M Member Since: Apr 24, 2018
11 of 15

I'd never (again) have several contracts open with any client at any given time, not so much because I'm worried about disputes, but because I'd rather not give one client the power to tank my metrics with poor outcomes on several contracts. 

So, I tried to do them consecuctively, but this is good feedback for next time. 

dsmgdesign
Community Guru
12 of 15

To be honest, the only protection is to make sure the work is done to the required standard and to keep the client on board.

It will be done to the required standard in terms of getting everything the client is looking for, and we have no plans to abandon the client. We're professionals and we bring projects to the finish line. We just may have to set the expectations along the way that with the continued scope creep we may have to move the finish line out a bit. That is really my only concern right now. Just really looking for anyone who may have had the same or similar experience. 

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
13 of 15

David S M wrote:

To be honest, the only protection is to make sure the work is done to the required standard and to keep the client on board.

It will be done to the required standard in terms of getting everything the client is looking for, and we have no plans to abandon the client. We're professionals and we bring projects to the finish line. We just may have to set the expectations along the way that with the continued scope creep we may have to move the finish line out a bit. That is really my only concern right now. Just really looking for anyone who may have had the same or similar experience. 

It's an unusual combination of factors. Have you asked in the Agencies subforum?

dsmgdesign
Community Guru
14 of 15

Thanks everyone for the advice on what to do next time. Thought there might be some suggestions for this time (proper documentation on work progress, how to document the work progress, thoughts if paid milestones mean anything to Upwork....like why would the client pay milestones if they weren't happy with the work that was done for that milestone period, or other thoughts/suggestions). 

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
15 of 15

David S M wrote:

Thanks everyone for the advice on what to do next time. Thought there might be some suggestions for this time (proper documentation on work progress, how to document the work progress, thoughts if paid milestones mean anything to Upwork....like why would the client pay milestones if they weren't happy with the work that was done for that milestone period, or other thoughts/suggestions). 

Upwork wouldn't take sides, but I should think that proper documentation would help if you need to go to mediation. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS