Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove my first bad feedback?

ewawolny
Eva F Member Since: Dec 8, 2016
1 of 19

Hi guys,

I wonder what to do. In February I worked on a project for fixed price ($200) for the logo design.

A client hired 2 freelancers for the 1st stage, concepts. And from 4 concepts that we agreed for the 1st stage he choosed 2 concepts to worked more on it, then he asked me for more and more revisions and we end up with 15 more new concepts. And every time he was asking for more he made me believe that if I will do it, he will hire me for the 2nd round. And at one point he disappeared, which I understood that he choosed the 2nd freelancer for the job. Which was cool, he can do it, that's why he is here. 

He never finished contract until today, after 2 months, and he left me not nice review 3,8 stars and 2 for skills and quality, the rest was 5:

"She tried her best but the result was just not what we were looking for. she might be the right person for other kind of mission than that that we have hired her for."

My feedback was way nicer as I felt this way:

"It has been a great experience to work with A. He knows what he is looking for, replies very fast to emails and questions, provides good guidance for the project, and on top of that he is friendly, and communicative person. Thank you very much for the experience! ;-)"

So I feel like an idiot now. Besides thinking his rating is very unfair, I feel it really affects me and my future work, as all my clients rate me for 5 stars and leave me good feedback.

So my question is:

1. Can I give him full refund of$50, so this contract will disappear from my account? I've never done that before.
2. Will that affect my 100% JSS and Top Rated Status whether I leave it or remove it?
3. Am I overreacting? And 3,8 is not that bad?

Please let me know if you have been in the same situation and how did you deal with this and how do you avoid it for the future?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Ewa

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 19

Ewa, you're top rated so you should use the Top Rated feedback removal perk to remove this feedback, assuming you haven't done so in the last 3 months or last 10 jobs. You can read about it here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/219801228-Top-Rated-Perk-Feedback-Removal

3 of 19

Wow, I didn't have any idea I can do it. Thank you so much for the information. I feel much better now. I am going to send an e-mail. Should I motivate my request in any way?

Will my feedback to the client will remain the same? 

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 19

Ewa, I suppose if you want to give reasons for asking for removal, I suppose you could, but I don't think that's a requirement. As to the feedback you gave, I imagine it will vanish along with the feedback you received, but I don't know that for a fact.

Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
5 of 19

No, I wouldn't refund for sure. Sounds like you did a lot of work for them, especially after doing 15+ concepts. That's a nice bit of work for a logo design. Obiviously the client didn't know exacly what they wanted, the communication was off, but something from what the comment he left was you just didn't fit with whatever their style was, and there are times when clients just don''t see what is best, what works best or your direction. They want what they want and it just doesn't come through. I've rarely had this happen but it does because some clients just don't see the aesthetic and understand the significance of the logos you created for their business, even through the best explanation of what your concept does. But that doesn't mean you didn't work hard and spend much of your time and efforts on the work, or trying your best to decipher the clients needs. You have a nice portfolio and to me, it seems like you get the business and that you would be able to understand the clients needs even if they don't get it. 

So like John said and especially since you worked for it, you can remove the feedback since you are top rated. You only get 1 of these every 3 months, or you could leave it and leave professional feedback in a nice way saying you did what you could, that you created many concepts and you wish the client the best in the future. Not sure if that will make you go below 90% though, that all depends on how the JSS is calculated. Perhaps remove if you really feel it will lower the JSS whereas you only have 12 jobs. You do have a nice bit of hours built though. Smiley Happy 

To add, I'd include a # of concepts and revisions in the proposals if you don't do so already. 15+ is a lot of work for quality and only $200. Perhaps you did though as It is a free market and you can choose to do what you want for thr price. 

ewawolny
6 of 19

Amanda, thank you for your reply!

Usually, there are 3-5 concepts, and from that client can choose one for revisions to move forward and I never had a problem like that. In this case, he liked some of them to develop more, but nothing "clicked" for him and as he made me believe he is happy with revisions and I have a chance to get to the second step, I went over the moon to work harder. 

He liked my designing process tho and he appreciated it, as his experience was way different with me than with designer from Fiver. Anyway, I wish he has mentioned something positive there, but 2 months has passed so he probably didn't remember.

Thank you for nice words on my portfolio.

I am afraid if I will leave this feedback and rating it will hit my JSS hardly, as maybe he wouldn't recommend me to a friend.

No, I wouldn't refund for sure. - I still don't know, I wish it would be removed forever.

babydrea04
Andrea Ruffa B Member Since: Aug 2, 2016
7 of 19

Thanks for this John K. I got my first bad feedback from a client who doesn't seem to understand how writing works! I drafted a second article for him because he didn't like the first one so that the second one will be the basis of our discussion. He made it appear that I was impatient and that I did not wait for his reply after an hour. He should have been thankful I drafted a second one based on his comments. Oh well! He's the only one who gave me 2 stars when I was kind enough to give him 3. I will check on this link you posted. 

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
8 of 19

Unless they've changed something...

They usually give you a choice between public removal or the score not hitting your JSS. 

Contact CS...

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 19

@Kat C wrote:

Unless they've changed something...

They usually give you a choice between public removal or the score not hitting your JSS. 

Contact CS...

It is not an either / or choice. It's a one / both choice:

You can ask for the contract to be excluded from the JSS calculation but the feedback to stay intact.

or

You can ask for the contract to be excluded from the JSS calculation AND the public feedback (stars and words) to be replaced by "This feedback has been removed."

ewawolny
10 of 19

Petra, thank you for your answer.

So my choice is:

1. Starts, plus feedback stays and it's only removed from JSS calculation

2. Stars, plus feedback are removed from my account and JSS calculation but there is an information about the fact that I requested a removal, which doesn't look good neither...

3. I can give a full refund and it will disappear forever from my account and JSS score? Is that one correct?

Only in option 1 I can reply to the feedback and show my point of view...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS