cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to report scammers?

mrbondurant
Michelle B Member Since: Nov 29, 2016
1 of 7

I have communicated with a client who says that his company (a large company in India which can be Googled) will offer me permanent employment with benefits if I will submit their HR application including my SSN.  He also says that they will send me a check by FedEx which I should use to buy software from their internal supplier.  Also, he had no hiring history at Upwork.

Since I wasn't born yesterday, I am declining their offer. My question is, how do I report this guy to the powers that be at Upwork?  

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 7

Here: Help request

Include a copy to all he off-site communications and a link to the job on Upwork.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
gerrys
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
3 of 7

The only part this "client" is interested in is the part involving a "check" ... 

It's not a "job"; it's an attempt to get you to give them money; for nothing. Period.

I receive equipment from clients that I use in developing their product.

EVERYTHING I receive they send postage paid; including labels for returns. I add manual hours for items I expense for them. No $ ever passes between myself and a client directly.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 7

Hi Michelle,

I checked the job I believe you are referring to and it looks like it's already been removed from the marketplace along with the accounts involved. In the future, please flag the job post as inappropriate or submit a support request as Rene suggested to report suspicious activity.

Check out this post for more tips on how to recognize and  avoid suspicious jobs on Upwork.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
christaylor22
Chris T Member Since: Jan 26, 2017
5 of 7

I'll bet you anything I just ran into the same "Client." I got suspicious when I saw that their "hiring manager" had a gmail address. I have one too, but not for my work as a hiring manager at a major pharmaceutical! WOW.

I reported them too. I'm starting to wonder what I'm doing on Upwork.

Christine

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 7

Hi Chris,

Thanks for flagging. I'll follow up to make sure the job is reviewed as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Upwork
christaylor22
Chris T Member Since: Jan 26, 2017
7 of 7

Thanks Valeria. I'm really angry with the scammers for this giant time sink.

Christine

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS