🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to report unethical client requests?
Page options
tlhogid
Community Member

How to report unethical client requests?

Two days ago, I began working on a contract to assist a lady work through some Actuarial course work she had sent me. My understanding was that I was effectively "tutoring" her through the material as she felt out of depth.

To prepare for our call, I would of course need to do her assignment myself(to familiarise myself with the content) then we would have a Zoom call to talk through the subject matter in detail.

It now appears that she was actually attempting to cheat on an exam!

A friend of hers has apparently sent her the solutions to that material from her professor, stating that a different exam paper will be used for the test tomorrow.

Now the client has asked me to make myself available to do the exam for her at 2.30pm tomorrow!

I have refused as this is clearly unethical.

I am struggling to find a way to flag  this as inappropiate without cancelling the contract, effectively losing income for work I have done so far. It is only $150 but I desperately need the money!

Either way, I am willing to walk away without the money if corrective action can be taken against this individual, if only to ban them from the platform. How do I achieve this? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yofazza
Community Member

to flag this as inappropiate without cancelling the contract

Find their school/college and report to them, it should have more impact.

And do it after you complete the project.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
yofazza
Community Member

to flag this as inappropiate without cancelling the contract

Find their school/college and report to them, it should have more impact.

And do it after you complete the project.

tlhogid
Community Member

Unfortunately there is no way of knowing th eUniversity this lady attended. She does not belong in the Actuarial profession either; if I could I would have her prohibited from becoming a member of the Institute!

AndreaG

Hi Tlhogi,

We take every report of suspicious or inappropriate activity seriously. You can report any suspicious activity in freelance profiles, portfolios, job postings, or the Upwork Message Center. Here's how to send a flag.

~Andrea
Upwork
tlhogid
Community Member

Thanks. This was helpful

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members