Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to select portfolio samples in Upwork and more

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
1 of 12

Hi,

I have migrated from Elance, and I am still having some problems in Upwork.

I am on the basic membership and am considering the paid membership.

This part is clear: connects 70 per month; rollover unused connects; view competitor bids; work diary protection; and escrow protection.

My question is whether a paying member can select portfolio samples and upload more than one file as in Elance when bidding for a job.

I find myself terribly handicapped as I have not been able to figure out how to select portfolio samples and upload more than one file.

Also, is it possible to save the job search criteria?

Thanks,

Ravi

"Certa bonum certamen"
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 12

Hi Ravindra and welcome to the Upwork Community!

Currently it's only possible to attach one file to your proposal on Upwork. You can include links to related portfolio items. Attaching more than one file and linking portfolio items to proposals are features we are going to consider in the future, but it's not something that will be implemented right away.

If you would like to save a search, you can click "Add this search to your Job Feed." It will then appear on your Find Work page on the left under My Job Feed.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
3 of 12

Hi Valeria,

Thank you for your reply.

I guess links will have to suffice for now. Thanks for the tip.

Best,

Ravi

"Certa bonum certamen"
Ace Contributor
Paula S Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
4 of 12

I was shocked to find this lacking in the Upwork interface also. For graphic designers like myself it's a serious issue. Though I am having very real doubts that Upwork will be a viable option to Elance for me as a workaround I have taken the time to convert my entire Elance portfolio to PDFs so I can now selected 8-10 samples specific to a job, combine them into a single PDF (using Acrobat Pro) so that I ultimately end up with ONE single  (allowed) file to attach. This is of course more time consuming (and if you make your living as a freelancer...all the tie spent working AROUND the interface needs to be factored into your price) but it's a viable albiet cumbersome workaround.

Community Guru
Daniel P Member Since: Aug 15, 2014
5 of 12

Have you tried sending a .zip file with your proposals?

Quite some time ago I was on here looking for work as a photo editor and simply sent .zip files with my job applications, which contained a bunch of pictures and even some folders.

You can put as many files in a zip file as you wish, which should solve the issue for you and save you the time of having to combine multiple PDFs into one.

Community Guru
6 of 12

Uploading zip files is allowed?

"Certa bonum certamen"
Ace Contributor
Meg E. T Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
7 of 12

I don't agree on the .zip file. It's hard enough to get a proposal noticed. Do clients have the time or inclination to unzip .zip files and then open whatever is inside? They would need to download every .zip file they want to open. It should be easier for CLIENTS and FREELANCERS to get through proposals.

Daniel T Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
8 of 12

I also think that this is a big set back from Elance. My primary service is retouching. All clientswant to see more than one photo, in before and after version and a lot of them in the full size quality so they can check the details of your work on a 100% zoom level.

It is impossible to use the attachments it I'm limited to one file only and to 5 Mb. I can always zip a few before and after photos together in a single file, but I can not make them be less 5 Mb.

Selecting a portfolio item and adding that selecion to a proposal, and attaching more than one file should be a primary upgrade for UpWork.

Daniel

Community Guru
Daniel P Member Since: Aug 15, 2014
9 of 12

I can see where you're coming from as someone who has also done retouching and photo editing in the past, though costs would go up if Upwork were to store large files on its servers for every job application made by users. So I think that's why attachments are limited to 5MB.

As a workaround you could always put your portfolio files/images on a cloud service (Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.) and link to that in your proposal message. This is what I did and it wors well. 

Community Guru
10 of 12

Eventually, it has to be a link.

"Certa bonum certamen"
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS