Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to spot an Editing scam

bundie702
Community Guru
Bettye U Member Since: Mar 6, 2016
1 of 15

This is the usual scam criteria for editing jobs: 1) posting is full of misspellings and bad grammar, 2) needs to hire multiple people, 3) just joined Upwork on the current date with zero hires, 4) offering a high pay rate, 5) claims to be about to "launch" a new product (like a magazine, despite their inability to write proper English) or service.

Likely applicants will be asked to interview on Google Hangouts...

431885bd
Stephanie Q Member Since: Mar 31, 2020
2 of 15
Hi! I received an offer from someone who had a posting with legitimate and proper English. The offer was made through email outside of upwork and interview was done via Skype messaging. They told me they would pay outside of upwork because they payed the opt-out fee. It all seems like a scam to me, except that their email address holds the domain of a legitimate company and is linked to social media profiles for the actual VP of HR for this company. How do I verify the legitimacy of this? Please help.
ashab-siddiqui
Ashab S Member Since: Mar 31, 2020
3 of 15

I am in the same boat. Please help

ashab-siddiqui
4 of 15

**Edited for community guidelines**

They sent this to me

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
5 of 15

Hi Ashab and Stephanie,

I'd like to check this further. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your reports? I'll check that for you and advise you accordingly.

Additionally, please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
wescowley
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
6 of 15

It's incredibly unlikely that a company would actually pay the opt-out fee for someone they've never worked with before.  You should assume that they're lying and that this is a scam.

ashab-siddiqui
7 of 15

Hi, i am a new freelancer for writing and I am a bit concerned about this client. Something feels a bit off but at the same time some of it seems real. I also need the money. I have attached screenshots of the chat. 

1. They contacted me on Upwork, referred me to chat via Skype

2. Asked me some questions over text, then said I was hired
3. Gave me a form to download and fill out. I requested by email since I was feeling a bit odd about it and yahoo did not file it as scam. 
4. I filled it out and digitially signed it. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**
5. They said they will send money for equipment via virtual check. 

Please help

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 15

Scam.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 15

It is a serious violation of Upwork TOS for any client or freelancer to exchange money outside of the platform.

You could have your account suspended for agreeing to do that, or even for discussing such.

ashab-siddiqui
10 of 15

What do you suggest I do or who do I contact for this?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS