Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to spot an Editing scam

resultsassoc
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
11 of 15

Ashab,

Walk, don't run, quickly away from this. Send a PM to the Moderator who requested one a few posts above yours. He will fix things quickly, before you get burned.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
12 of 15

Hi Ashab, 

It looks like Bojan responded to your post, and shared ways on how you can send him more information about this. I wanted to check if you sent him a private message with more information about your concern?

~ Avery
Upwork
joywriter
Community Leader
Hugo S Member Since: Sep 17, 2015
13 of 15

A lot of freelancers unfortunately do not know that and these scammers do look for the freelancers that have 0 experience on the platform to try to scheme them out of I don't know what! Maybe get them to do free work?  I don't know.  Indeed a risky situation! 

bundie702
Community Guru
Bettye U Member Since: Mar 6, 2016
14 of 15

I have chatted with legitimate potential clients on Skype (but never on Google Hangouts), but I'm always suspicious of anyone who says they pay through Paypal. Truthfully, I never heard of an opt-out option. I figure if they can hire through Upwork, they can pay through Upwork.

I would advise against filling out any type of form for anyone, and a promise to send a check for "equipment" is always a red flag for a scam. I think what they usually do is say they made the check out for too much and ask you to send them a check for the difference...their check will end up being worthless and they will cash your check.

This is the usual scam criteria for editing jobs: 1) posting is full of misspellings and bad grammar, 2) needs to hire multiple people, 3) just joined Upwork on the current date with zero hires, 4) offering a high pay rate, 5) claims to be about to "launch" a new product (like a magazine, despite their inability to write proper English) or service.

resultsassoc
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
15 of 15

Bettye,

Good for you. I hire, although mostly on another board that is not as rigid as UW. I just hired two UW freelancers for return engagements, and interviewed both over Skype. I'm also a provider. The list of red flags is exceedingly long. One is a promise of future work. As we say in Spanish, caca de toro.Another is an inappropriate use of articles (a, the) by a "native" speaker. It's probably time for us geezers to roll out a list of red flags again. Thank you. You're right, and it's not just editing.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS