cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to switch a contract from Fixed Price to Hourly without ending the contract?

advmfsheikh
Active

Hi, I have an existing fixed price contract with a client. She wants to switch me to hourly now. But If she switches me to hourly, does that mean a new contract will start with 20 % Upwork fee as per the new Upwork policy? If yes, what else can be done to avoid 20 % commission? Since this fixed price contract started way before Upwork's new policy date of June, 2016, it would be very unfair if I get charged 20% Upwork fee for an existing client. Kindly provide a solution to this issue ASAP.

10 REPLIES 10
katrinabeaver
Community Guru

Have you already made $500 with this client?

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

Hi, 

I haven't made $500 yet but I have a payment due from the client. After receiving the due payment, it'll reach $500. If I make it to the $500 mark, will they let me switch to hourly under the same contract without 20% increase?

@Paridhi P wrote:

Hi, 

I haven't made $500 yet but I have a payment due from the client. After receiving the due payment, it'll reach $500. If I make it to the $500 mark, will they let me switch to hourly under the same contract without 20% increase?

Yes!!

Ok. Great. Thanks!

One more question.. this $500 limit is considered, once the client pays me through her account or once the amount is actually reviewed and credited into my Upwork account after few days of payment by client? Please let me know.

lysis10
Community Guru

It will only be 20% if you haven't reached $500 with the client.

Ok. So you mean that If I reach $500 with the client on this existing fixed price contract, they will let the client switch me to hourly within the same contract and without charging 20% Upwork fee?

Yes. The 20% on the first $500 applies to a client, not per contract. it doesn't matter how many contracts you have with a client--once that client has paid you $500, it is 10%.

Oh. Ok. That sounds great. Thank you !

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Paridhi,

Yes, switching a contract from fixed-price to hour will create a new contract and new pricing would apply. That being said, once your lifetime billings with this client are over $500 the fee of 10% will apply.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS