🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to switch client account to a new contact
Page options
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

How to switch client account to a new contact

I've completed half a dozen projects for a client, but now he's leaving the company and wants to connect me with one of his colleagues to continue with the work. I've been in this situation several times before and lost out because Upwork considered the new contact to be a "new client" even though they worked for the same company, which I think is ridiculous and unreasonable.

I've asked my old contact if he can simply add his colleague to the account and/or change the email address to his colleague's email address; however, he doesn't want to do that because he's hired dozens of freelancers via Upwork and he doesn't want his colleague to have access to all of his previous correspondence (which is understandable). So, I'm asking for Upwork's help once again. Can the new contact be treated as the repeat client that he actually is? And if not - if Upwork considers this to be a brand-new client - can I simply use the "bring your own client to Upwork" feature and pay a 0% fee? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Christine,

I shared your account info with the team that will review it and send you a BYOC link over the next couple of days. Please note that this new person who wants to hire you can't have a previous account on Upwork and has to sign up using your link.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Christine A wrote:

can I simply use the "bring your own client to Upwork" feature and pay a 0% fee? 

This has been done several times before...

Get your special url and invite him....

Upwork can not have it both ways. Either it's a new client or it is not.

Petra R wrote:

This has been done several times before...

Get your special url and invite him....

Upwork can not have it both ways. Either it's a new client or it is not.

I agree completely, I just didn't know if it was kosher. How do I get my special url? And - not that I don't trust you - but I'd like to get an official okey-dokey from a mod.

Hi Christine,

I shared your account info with the team that will review it and send you a BYOC link over the next couple of days. Please note that this new person who wants to hire you can't have a previous account on Upwork and has to sign up using your link.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thanks Bojan!

How about this situation? An Upwork client recommends me to someone else in the same company. That person wants to start his own Upwork account to hire me. The old client doesn't want me to do the new job on his account. Can I BYOC the new client?

Hi Richard, 

Yes. You can use the Bring Your Own Client link to invite the 'new' client to Upwork.

I would just like to note that if this new client uses their company email to register for an Upwork account, Upwork will automatically recognize their business name based on their email address. However, they will have the option to not allow the auto-join functionality. You can access more information about this here.

~ Avery
Upwork

Avery O wrote:

Hi Richard, 

Yes. You can use the Bring Your Own Client link to invite the 'new' client to Upwork.

I would just like to note that if this new client uses their company email to register for an Upwork account, Upwork will automatically recognize their business name based on their email address. However, they will have the option to not allow the auto-join functionality. You can access more information about this here.

Thanks, Avery.

I'm quite surprised by your answer, as the last time I started working with a new client within the same company I asked about it here in the community, and no-one mentioned that I could BYOC the second client. It seems as though this could be open to abuse (to avoid paying fees to Upwork), so I'd like to make quite sure I'm not doing anything to violate Upwork's rules.

If you're sure it's OK, could you please send me a BYOC link. I haven't had one before.

By the way, the two people don't share a company domain name in their email addresses.

Hi Richard, 

I may have missed that post where you had asked that question. But if that client (from last time) registered with the same company, or used their business' domain, the fees should have applied. 

I would like to note that the Bring Your Own Client (BYOC) is a perk that is available for Rising Talent and Top Rated freelancers. Here's more information about the program, in case you want to read more about it. I have also sent a request to the team for your BYOC link. They will reach out to you with your personal link, and more information about your account. 

Just to add, you can use the same link for different clients. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members