🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to take off, on Upwork ?
Page options
jmalassaad
Community Member

How to take off, on Upwork ?

Hello friends,

I am a new freelancer on Upwork (Since more than one month). Up to now, I have had only one project successfully done. I am seeking your pieces of advice and tips. In particular, here are my questions:

* Any tips for the winning proposal ?

* Any pieces of advice for a winning profile ?

* Is it good or bad, to have the same profile with various 10 skills ?

* Is it normal, for a new freelancer (with only one project completed, which is 5 stars evaluated), to be rarely interviewed by clients ?

* From my own investigation, I feel that the traffic trigger for a new upworker is to have a good Job Success Score. Is it true ?... If yes, then this means that all the challenge is about getting 3 projects well done, and after that, winning projects will be much easier. Is it true ?

Regards,

Assaad

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
shohel121
Community Member

Hi Assaad, 

Welcome to this arena!

I have just had a look at your profile and I would like to respond as follows: 

• Your profile Title needs to fix.   Please craft a professionally sound title that also grabs the clients' attention.  Short and sweet. Something like; "Results-oriented Passionate Writer" 
  • A detail Overview covering your skillset and describing how can you really be a help.
  • Pass some more relevant Upwork Tests with good scores. It helps new freelancers.

Now about your questions:

* Any tips for the winning proposal? 

• Apply only to the jobs that match your skills well
  • Write appealing Cover Letter highlighting your skills and describing how can you be a great fit for the project. 

* Any pieces of advice for a winning profile?

• Mentioned above

* Is it good or bad, to have the same profile with various 10 skills?

• You should move with similar skills.
  • Specialized Profiles feature allows creating two specialized profiles besides the main profile.  

Best of luck! 

Shohel

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
shohel121
Community Member

Hi Assaad, 

Welcome to this arena!

I have just had a look at your profile and I would like to respond as follows: 

• Your profile Title needs to fix.   Please craft a professionally sound title that also grabs the clients' attention.  Short and sweet. Something like; "Results-oriented Passionate Writer" 
  • A detail Overview covering your skillset and describing how can you really be a help.
  • Pass some more relevant Upwork Tests with good scores. It helps new freelancers.

Now about your questions:

* Any tips for the winning proposal? 

• Apply only to the jobs that match your skills well
  • Write appealing Cover Letter highlighting your skills and describing how can you be a great fit for the project. 

* Any pieces of advice for a winning profile?

• Mentioned above

* Is it good or bad, to have the same profile with various 10 skills?

• You should move with similar skills.
  • Specialized Profiles feature allows creating two specialized profiles besides the main profile.  

Best of luck! 

Shohel

Dear Shohel,

Thank you very much for your answers and for the time you spent to give me this detailed response.

I will proceed, as you recommended.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Assaad

All the best, Assaad! Smiley Happy

Shohel

Assaad J wrote:

Dear Shohel,

Thank you very much for your answers and for the time you spent to give me this detailed response.

I will proceed, as you recommended.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Assaad

Your headline should be meaningful and give a clear indication what your skills are. Results oriented passionate freelancer is meaningless drivel. Put yourself into a client's shoes. What are you looking for, and what headline will make you click on the profile?

Dear Martina,

Thanks a lot for your advice. It makes sens, Indeed.

However, as I have more than one area of services, I think that the headline should be fitted to that. May be, I am thinking of this headline:

"Passionate Writer, Translator, Researcher & VA"

What do you think about it ?

Many thanks,

Assaad

Assaad J wrote:

Dear Martina,

However, as I have more than one area of services, I think that the headline should be fitted to that. May be, I am thinking of this headline:

Many thanks,

Assaad

When I see "Passionate" as a client, my eyes glaze over and I move on to the next freelancer.

For a beginner on Upwork, someone who offers 4 different skills turns me off because it screams "I am a Jack of all Trades and don't really know what I am doing as any one of them"

Your profile is a mess. It is all over the place. You waste the all important first line (which is all a client sees in a list of freelancer) telling the client your name which they can see anyway, and meaningless drivel such as how you care about quality (that should go without saying)

You list a bunch of things and don't show any evidence that you master any of them. The English of your overview has too many mistakes, so any client looking for a writer will dismiss you (unless they don't speak much English either) - there is no hint of evidence that you are a translator.

Your portfolio items - same as above... Poor English with shocking mistakes.

Again, any clients with fluent English will recoil in horror.

Dear Petra,

Thank you for your reply. 

You have bombarded me with criticals, but I understand that it is for my good.

Actually, I have tried to treat all your critics. Please, have a look again on my updated profile, and tell me if things are better. What about the English mistakes ?.. I hope that they no longer exist.

I have updated the Portfolio item related to my done project, and it is under review. That is why you can't see it now.

Thank you again.

Assaad J wrote:

Dear Martina,

Many thanks,

Assaad

I have found that researching successful freelancer's profiles that offer the same skills is very instructive. 

Most importantly, all your content in your profile must be flawless and error-free. There is no excuse for mistakes and typos, because not only you have all the time you need to perfect your texts, you also advertise as a writer.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths