🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How to tell client that you don't want to...
Page options
jeponkz
Community Member

How to tell client that you don't want to work with him/her anymore with your active contract?

Hi,

I have a client that set budget for the project to $100 

Now, he wants to pay me by milestone. The first milestone they asked me to do simple modification that only cost $5 

and now they added a new milestone worth $25 that took me around 3hrs to work. I feel that I didn't deserved the amount of the milestone. My regular hourly rate is $16/hr . I'm afraid they will add another milestone for small amount with heavy workloads.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciate.  Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tta192
Community Member

When the client creates a new milestone you can propose a new price based on your own estimate if what they set up is not ok for you.

Once you start working on the milestone it means you accepted the fixed price, and the risk of it taking more (or less) time is on you. You cannot look back and say the client took adventage of you, because had it took you just one hour to complete that $25 milestone you wouldn't have given the client a refund, either. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
tta192
Community Member

When the client creates a new milestone you can propose a new price based on your own estimate if what they set up is not ok for you.

Once you start working on the milestone it means you accepted the fixed price, and the risk of it taking more (or less) time is on you. You cannot look back and say the client took adventage of you, because had it took you just one hour to complete that $25 milestone you wouldn't have given the client a refund, either. 

jeponkz
Community Member

I understand your point, but I don't want to work with them anymore, I worked with them for 2 weeks now and I only earned $25. 

petra_r
Community Member

Jeffrey B wrote:

I understand your point, but I don't want to work with them anymore, I worked with them for 2 weeks now and I only earned $25. 

Close the contract then

jeponkz
Community Member

I think that's not a good idea. It will definitely put my account into a low Job Success Score.  

petra_r
Community Member

Jeffrey B wrote:

I think that's not a good idea. It will definitely put my account into a low Job Success Score.  

Why?

managing contracts and clients is the most important skill for any freelancer. You've been on Upwork for 7 years, surely you have developed the skills to get out of a contract without enraging the client, or better still, developed the skills to discuss with the client that you'd appreciate it if they can discuss it with you before setting a new milestone so scope and price can be mutually agreed.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members