Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tell if the job is a Scam or not

mickerducky
Mikayla G Member Since: Jan 19, 2017
1 of 13

Hi,

I am new to using upwork and so far I am pretty sure I have only been offered jobs that are Scams. Does anyone have tips to know right of the bat that its a scam to avoid going through the hassle of creating a proposal? I am pretty sure that everything should be able to be done on upwork and is supposed to be done on upwork (interview, pay details etc.) Should I be concerned about downloading applications? I am just trying to be successful on here but it is frustrating when I have to figure out what is a scam and what is not.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 13

If you are new, pretty much every invitation you get will be a scam.  Even old-timers like me get very few invitations.

If you are new, I would insist that the interview take place on Upwork.  I've never had to fill out a job application - they're phishing for personal information.  Upwork has your information - the client doesn't need it.

All payment must take place through Upwork  Never ever ever agree to pay for software, computer or whatever.

Read everything you can find out about getting started on Upwork and make sure you read the Terms of Service and understand how payments work.

Good luck!.  I'm sure others will add to this list.

mickerducky
3 of 13

Thanks Mary! heres hoping I don't assume an actually offer isn't one!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 13

re: "Does anyone have tips to know right of the bat that its a scam to avoid going through the hassle of creating a proposal?"

Mikayla:

Those of us who are experienced Upwork users can identify a scam invitation or scam job posting within a few seconds.

So, yes, it is possible to know right off the bat.

You will simply need to spend some time working as an Upwork freelancer and also spend time reading in the Community Forum in order for you to gain this ability to the extent that we have. You'll get there.

There are obvious tips, such as:

Google Hangouts invitation = scam

...but there's a lot more to it than that, and there's no simple way we can instill that knowledge. Read a lot about the topic here in the Forum and you'll catch on.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 13

Mikayla, when you get an offer, it will be delivered through Upwork messaging and the message will include a "View Offer" link that will let you respond to the offer through Upwork, and you will also receive a notification in your email from Upwork with a subject line that starts with "Offer:" followed by the name of the job. Anything else is a scam.

Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 13

Mikayla,

This link to a post by Lena, one of our moderators, will help you recognize the most common scams:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

mickerducky
7 of 13

Thanks so much everyone. All very useful informaiton!

sehlke_susan
Susan S Member Since: Jan 5, 2017
8 of 13

agreed! i have been scammed once and it has left me very, very leery of any inquiries. i now have an invite to interview via phone call. i don't think i am going to do it. other than those 2 scams, i haven't received any legitimate job offers. makes me very weary of upwork.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 13

@Susan S wrote:

agreed! i have been scammed once and it has left me very, very leery of any inquiries. i now have an invite to interview via phone call. i don't think i am going to do it. other than those 2 scams, i haven't received any legitimate job offers. makes me very weary of upwork.

Susan,

The scammers lie in wait like snipers for newcomers and I have noticed that more and more designers seem to be in their sights.

Getting traction on Upwork is difficult, but it will eventually happen for you. Just keep bidding wisely on the jobs you like and know you can deliver. I think you could safely assume for the moment that any invitation you get is likely to be a scam - run it past us here first (without giving verbatim discussions or links).

There do seem to be a few new scams appearing, such as the birthday card one and in the editing category, corrupt and infected attachments.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 13

There ARE legitimate invitations on Upwork.

They come to Upwork freelancers who are experienced and/or have in-demand skills.

if I set my status to available, then I receive legitimate invitations every week from clients willing to pay my rate. So that is something you can look forward to.

But things didn't start off that way for me. It took about a year to get to that point. For other people, it will take less time, or more time, depending on their skills.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS