Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tell if/when client hires someone

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
1 of 6

What is the most efficient way to keep track of what happens on jobs for which I submit proposals? I have 10 Active Candidacies, two of date back as far as three months; and 13 Submitted Proposals including one that's three months old and one from five months ago. If they are still in my lists, does that mean the jobs were not closed and no one else was hired yet? If not, how can I tell?

Thanks!

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
2 of 6

While this isn't an efficient method...

If you go back to the proposal through your Active Candidacy section, you can see if they hired someone for the job. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 6

Phyllis,

Some clients leave jobs open even after they have hired somebody in case they want to hire more than one person. You can click View Job Posting from your proposal page and see if anybody's been hired in the Activity on This Job section.

~ Valeria
Upwork
gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
4 of 6

Thanks, Valeria.

Follow-up question: how to get clients to get off the dime and hire somebody?! Some of the projects I've bid on are relatively small and/or I have suggested to the client we try an hourly "pilot" assignment to see if the fit is good. And yet, they continue to dilly-dally. Goes wth the territory, I know. I've just been submitting a whole lot of proposals this summer and not getting hired--but not getting rejected, either. Just ghosted!

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
5 of 6

@Phyllis G wrote:

Thanks, Valeria.

Follow-up question: how to get clients to get off the dime and hire somebody?! Some of the projects I've bid on are relatively small and/or I have suggested to the client we try an hourly "pilot" assignment to see if the fit is good. And yet, they continue to dilly-dally. Goes wth the territory, I know. I've just been submitting a whole lot of proposals this summer and not getting hired--but not getting rejected, either. Just ghosted!

Fire and forget, quite honestly! The percentage of jobs that don't hire is astoundingly high over all, like 8 out of 10 the last time I tracked my own stats for the heck of it.

Take a look at the kinds of jobs you're applying for and see if there is a trend regarding the ones that ghost you. Are they new to Upwork? Payment verified? What does their job history look like? What kind of feedback do they get? That kind of thing. There are red flags that you'll come to recognize and then you can avoid wasting your connects on those proposals.

The "Archived" tab on the Proposals page is useful information if you want to look at past applications and what happened to them, but it's a better use of your time to keep searching those job listings. The diamonds can be few and far between, but they're in there.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 6

The most efficient way is to never look back. If they're interested, they'll contact you when they're ready. If you're not available by the time they turn up, you can turn them down or ask if they can wait until you're available on X date.

Just bid and keep moving.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS