Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to track time when sketching on paper, iPad and PC

Highlighted
Andres A Member Since: Mar 18, 2016
1 of 11

Hi there!

I was wondering how you can track time with the desktop Team App when a job requires to make some sketches, and you want to combine different methods, like working on paper, on an iPad and on the computer?

Thanks a lot...

Andrés

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Valeria B Member Since: Oct 4, 2015
2 of 11

Hi Andres,

You can enter manual time on the project, if your client has allowed it - if not, you can always ask them to and explain what you will be doing and why you need it.

I use a free web service called toggl, it's handy for tracking time, it stores the time you track and you can create multiple projects.

Highlighted
3 of 11

Great Valéria, thanks a lot for your answer, that's one straightforward option I hadn't thought of...

... But that way you don't get covered by the hourly protection program, right?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Laura M Member Since: Mar 8, 2016
4 of 11

Hi Smiley Happy

[Removed my post because eep] It's really not okay to ask the question about how to track time hand-drawing? It's as viable a job tool as drawing with a stylus straight into photoshop. <confused>

Highlighted
Community Leader
Bogdan-Mihai R Member Since: Sep 6, 2010
5 of 11

It's not legal, no.

I would suggest that you edit your entire post before the mods edit it for any reason they find.

Also, expect to have your profile flagged for the unclear photo (not by me)

Good luck!

Highlighted
6 of 11

Wow, thanks for the advice Bogdan. I'm going to upload a new picture.

I´m trying to do things the right way here, that´s why I ask before doing something wrong.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 11

Andres A said:

... But that way you don't get covered by the hourly protection program, right?

Correct - You only have hourly protection for the hours tracked with the UpWork app.

I was thinking, would it be viable to make a video capture of the work and then play the video on the PC so the Team App take the snapshots for the Work Diary?... Is it "legal"?

Ehm ... Even if we assume it's "legal" by UpWork terms, why go though all the trouble? Setting up the cam, uploading the video, playing it back etc. etc. That's just extra time and effort you won't be getting paid for lol

Plus the time tracking app records activity as well - keystrokes and mouse clicks.

You shouldn't be worried so much about the manual time not being protected - if you discuss it with your client, and he agrees and is well aware you will be billing him for sketching, he should be cool with it and wouldn't dispute the hours. That's the right way to do things.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Craig A Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
8 of 11

I beleieve the Upwork app can also use the web cam, along with screen shots. If you are in front of your computer while sketching, it would capture that as well.

I haven't tried it myself, though. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
9 of 11

TIL there really is an option to take photos with your webcam in the UpWork app - but like Craig said you can only use it with screenshots while tracking, it says so right next to the checkbox.

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 2.36.34 AM.png

I dunno, I wouldn't use it - I don't think I'd be able to focus on whatever I'm doing if I know UpWork is taking screenshots of my face every 10 minutes . . .

I'd rather keep the ability to be able to work from my bed or without having to brush my hair / dress up nice / try to look professional  Smiley Tongue If I wanted that I'd just work in an office!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 11

Another solution is not using the built-in camera but a USB one, and setting it up so it captures the sheet you're drawing on.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS