🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to use the work diary to bill for unpredi...
Page options
joneskellie62
Community Member

How to use the work diary to bill for unpredictable call answering, etc?

Hello,

I am a customer service agent that works in my virtual call center. I had a potential client that wanted to hire me and I would need to be available from 8 am- 5 pm, Monday through Friday to answer incoming calls, make outgoing calls for scheduling and calendar updates, etc. While we were talking on Upwork messenger, I asked him how many calls he usually receives a day (on estimate) and he stated that he usually receives 3-5 incoming and 1-3 outgoing calls a day. The client wanted to pay me only for when a call comes in and clock out as soon as I am finished with that call.

All calls would go through the Grasshopper app (cell phone) and I would have to log all of my time through the Jobber app. He originally wanted to pay me through the Jobber app! I told him that he would need to send me a contract so I can track my time via the Upwork work diary and pay me by using the Upwork platform since paying me through Jobber is a Terms of Service violation. There were a lot of red flags with this client, so I decided it was best for me to decline the job offer. In the future how would I be able to track unpredictable calls, etc through the Upwork work diary? 

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

You may do this however you want to, using the available tools, as long as you do not violate Upwork TOS.

In order to formulate your strategy, you need to understand that Upworl's tool is not a time clock. It is not designed to record precise time intervals that may be associated with short phone calls. Ideally, it is used by freelancers working in blocks of time of at least forty minutes in length.

It actually records time intervals of an average of ten minutes each... but the times that it takes screenshots are random.

So if you take very short calls through the day, you could end up undercharging.

It may make more sense to use manually logged time, and add up accumulative time segments recorded elsewhere. But a client would need to allow this.

You also need to take into account the value of your time spent waiting and not handing calls.

I would not accept a job in which I was expected to be "on call" doing nothing else eight hours a day. Unless I was compensated for that time as well. For example, the client could set up a weekly retainer payment of $XXX.00 dollars per week to secure my time during specified hours, and I bill time on top of that.

OR it is understood that my time is not exclusively reserved, and that I am one of a number of people who may be handling calls. Whichever one of us handles a call is paid for that time, but we are not expected to be ready to field calls all the time.

But am I going to agree to be available exclusively to handle this client's calls for nine hours a day five days a week for the possibility of working for thirty minutes a day?

That is unlikely, but you ARE allowed to do that. The Upwork user interface does not prevent you from doing that. The numbers may even work out. If you are paid enough per hour to make it worth your time, and the times not spent handling calls can be used for something you want to do and can interrupt easily enough... then go for it.

Thanks, Preston, I do agree! 

I messaged the potential client and let him know that it would be a waste of time for me to be available for all those hours with the chance of only getting a few calls and not having a guaranteed amount of compensation for my time, if calls come in or not. 

The "client" said he could guarantee $75 a week. I declined his offer because my time is worth more than $75 a week, especially being on hold all that long in between calls.

Of course you need to do what makes sense for you.

For many clients and businesses who hire customer service personnel, their search starts and stops in the Philippines.

You need to understand what you have to offer that they don't.

Yes, I have heard of that, but this client is from the USA. The compensation arrangements are more in the client's favor than in mine as a freelancer. 

Thanks for your advice and I am glad that I declined the offer!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members