🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How to verify Identity if I go to the USA...
Page options
munia_k
Community Member

How to verify Identity if I go to the USA but My nationality is Bangladeshi

Hello Upwork Team!

I am new in Upwork. I knew from someone I have to verify my identity. I'm from Bangladesh but I have to go to USA for my higher study, recently. If I go to USA, how can I verify my identity and what is the documents I will need when I have no green card and I will live in USA as a Bangladeshi. Let me know thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

You can get a driver's license in the United States. Can get a non-driver state-issued ID card. Green card. Passport with accepted documents showing local address, such as utility bills. Upwork has a whole page explaining what documents can be accepted for location and identity verification protocols.

petra_r
Community Member

Mst Munia K wrote:

I'm from Bangladesh but I have to go to USA for my higher study, recently. If I go to USA, how can I verify my identity and what is the documents I will need when I have no green card and I will live in USA as a Bangladeshi. 

Does your visa allow you to work? Unless you are legally allowed to work in the USA, you can't work on Upwork.

You can use your Bangladeshi passport to verify your identity anyway. But the bigger picture is if you are even allowed to work. That is something you need to clarify with immigration. 

munia_k
Community Member

If my USA visa is permit me to work in USA, how can I verify it? What's documents I will need?

Mst Munia K wrote:

If my USA visa is permit me to work in USA, how can I verify it? What's documents I will need?

A student visa typically does not allow you to work. Don't get confused into thinking that if you work in the US, on upwork, for e.g. a client in France, that could be ok. It is not. The US very stringently enforces their immigration laws, as you might know. From upwork's point of view, they don't monitor if freelancers adhere to local laws, they only require that your location is actual and correct. 

So, I have to prove that I live in USA for working on Upwork, right? 

petra_r
Community Member

Mst Munia K wrote:

So, I have to prove that I live in USA for working on Upwork, right? 

Well, yes, of course, you also have to be legally allowed to work in the USA. Iam a little puzzled. Surely, if you are about to move, you would know if you have the necessary paperwork to work in the USA or not?

re: "Surely, if you are about to move, you would know if you have the necessary paperwork to work in the USA or not?"

Not necessarily. She said she is going to the United States for college. Her eligibility to work may not have come up.

Preston H wrote:

Her eligibility to work may not have done up.

It will have done if she was moving to the USA to attend university from a foreign country. 

Good point. One would think that topic should have been addressed.

Preston H wrote:

Good point. One would think that topic should have been addressed.

If she moves to the US shortly, she already knows her type of visa. It takes about 2 seconds to check if that is valid for employment. I'm (slightly) worried about people thinking, hey, I work for a client in Russia, so even when I do that in the US, it should be ok. Which it obviously isn't. Immigration will even check your social media. If they find anything they don't like, they are not known for being patient and understanding. So I agree with Petra, she should know by now what she can or can't do, and I hope she takes that into consideration, because consequences can be dire. Asking this question in the forum is not a good sign, IMO. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths