cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to work with low-responsive US client?

a_miroshnichenko
Community Leader
Alexandr M Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
1 of 5

Actually typical client from US, who has a lot of money, but no time.

I've made proposal for job with budget 70$ only, that should cost 200$. I've made proposal just for fun - my bid was 350$ (simply 5x more than budget). After 2 weeks client made me 350$ offer. It was surprise for me. Good offer I think.

But one problem - I have problems to communicate with client. He is from USA. Actually he answers for my questions (sometimes with 2-3 days delay), but not always in the way I need (he has his own opinion how to work, i think).

He has made for me brief documentation of what he needs - it looks quite strange - the usability of results format he asked in documentation looks not good, so.. it's high chance he will ask me for some other format. To avoid this risk I asked him for sample of source data, to make sample report before accepting the job,- to be sure that he will be satisfied with job, but he did not provide me with sample source data, even I asked him 2 times. I don't think it will require a lot of re-doing work, but actually I don't like to redo anything at all..... In worst case it can drops down my JSS to 80%, not too likely, but more likely than with other jobs.

I usually have the same problems with other clients from USA, but previously I always resolved all issues before accepting job offer.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 5

Lock down a calendar date to discuss in skype. Use voice to talk to him.

a_miroshnichenko
Community Leader
Alexandr M Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
3 of 5

I'm compleately lacking in voice talk. )). My level of english not so good. And I have serious problems with alive communications even at native language )). Good idea for people who are easie with alive communications and good in english, but not for me. ))

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 5

That's tough then. If it were me, I'd put a hold on the job and tell the customer we need to chat on Skype before we move forward.

Only idea I can come up with is to write up a document with specific questions and tell him you need him to go through and answer questions and sign off on them.

lenaellis
Lena E Moderator Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
5 of 5

Hi Alexandr, It is important to understand all the details of a job before accepting an offer. I agree with Jennifer, you should try to reach out and have a conversation through chat to make sure you both are on the same page. Poor communication can have a job turn for the worse, so you shouldn't accept it until you understand the client's expectations.

This thread may help you: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Content-Corner/How-to-Manage-Client-Expectations/m-p/151999#U151999

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS