🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How to wrap up a project
Page options
heather_cl
Community Member

How to wrap up a project

I'm new to upwork and just completed my first job. I have sent the design files and communicated with the client who seems happy. do I now 'end contract' or do I wait for payment? thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Heather C wrote:

I'm new to upwork and just completed my first job. I have sent the design files and communicated with the client who seems happy. do I now 'end contract' or do I wait for payment? thanks!

Fixed rate or hourly contract?

If hourly, did you track your hours with the Upwork app?

If fixed rate, was it fully funded and did you use the "Submit for payment" on the contract to submit the work?

It seems it was an hourly job, so the client will get charged automatically, but it is still better to let / encourage the client to end the contract because that is how you are guaranteed feedback.

Arturo C wrote:

what I do .

1- tell you client that he can close the project and pay you
2-close it yourself, you have a option called "submit work for payment"

1 - It is an hourly contract, no need to "tell the client to pay her"

2 - BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD advice on a fixed contract. Closing a contract before funds have been released sends the money back to the client.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
arturo73
Community Member

what I do .

petra_r
Community Member

Heather C wrote:

Fixed rate or hourly contract?

If hourly, did you track your hours with the Upwork app?

If fixed rate, was it fully funded and did you use the "Submit for payment" on the contract to submit the work?

It seems it was an hourly job, so the client will get charged automatically, but it is still better to let / encourage the client to end the contract because that is how you are guaranteed feedback.

Arturo C wrote:

what I do .

1 - It is an hourly contract, no need to "tell the client to pay her"

2 - BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD advice on a fixed contract. Closing a contract before funds have been released sends the money back to the client.

arturo73
Community Member

there is no real feedback guarantee

half of my clients never leave feedback

half of them come back with more projects and still not leave feedback

Honestly I think feedback is necessary but doesnt really define how much work you get, at least in my speciality where the most important is your portfolio and reel

petra_r
Community Member

Arturo C wrote:

there is no real feedback guarantee

If the client closes the contract, he or she will leave feedback. No way of avoiding it.

Arturo C wrote:

Honestly I think feedback is necessary but doesnt really define how much work you get, at least in my speciality where the most important is your portfolio and reel

It is her first contract. At that stage, in her very competitive category, feedback is vitally important to get going.

Arturo C wrote:

I use upwork since 3 years and NEVER EVER
a client had the silly idea of closing a delivered contract without paying before

You advised her to "close it yourself, you have a option called "submit work for payment"

If she clicked on Supmit for payment and then closed the contract, the money would go back to the client.

Quite apart from the fact that it is an hourly contract anyway.

arturo73
Community Member

I use upwork since 3 years and NEVER EVER
a client had the silly idea of closing a delivered contract without paying before

thanks for the advice!  

thanks for your input!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members