cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to you determine your hourly rate ? What is reasonable rate.

Ace Contributor
Faisal A Member Since: Apr 12, 2017
1 of 17

Community Guru
Melissa C Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
2 of 17
I started off at $15/hr and then raised it by a dollar every time I was too busy to take on new projects (now I only raise it by a quarter because it's getting up there).

But you have to decide for yourself what you're worth. I should have started higher, but didn't get any hourly work until I hit $22/hr anyway.

I figured what amount I could live off without eating hot dogs or cat food every day and went from there.

Edit- for practical advice, look at other contractors in your field with your level of expertise and see what they charge.
Ace Contributor
3 of 17

What if you don't cook and just how to use the microwave ?  Does this mean I have to add a couple of dollars for each meal I buy?

Community Guru
4 of 17
Look, I was just telling you what works for me in this scenario.

If I want to apply for a job at a lower rate than is currently posted on my profile I fill in the rate I will do that specific job for in the proposal for that job.

If you prefer to advertise the lowest rate you would command, go for it. It's your choice.

If you don't know how to cook, you are spending more money buying individual meals? I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at with this analogy other than if you only know how to microwave, you shouldn't go about calling or advertising yourself as a cook.

Edit, never mind. Your goals may certainly differ from mine and that's ok! I think you were trying to make a joke and not be rude. My apologies.

You can do whatever works best for you. I think the best place to determine your rate is in your proposals to specific jobs.

Jobs vary in time invested and effort invested and that doesn't change whether you have one skill or twenty skills.
Ace Contributor
5 of 17

How do you determine your rates on the proposal before knowing the details of the project?

Community Guru
6 of 17
I don't. I tell the client in my proposal that my rate is a placeholder until I know more information.
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
7 of 17

@Melissa C wrote:
I don't. I tell the client in my proposal that my rate is a placeholder until I know more information.

Or, just skip over postings that don't provide adequate information. There are exceptions, but it's typically not a good sign about a client if they write a one line posting with none of the pertinent information.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 17

With hourly jobs it does not matter to me whether the job is difficult or easy, or whether the client described it adequately, my hourly rate stays the same because the only difference is that the difficult ones tend to take longer.

The value of my hour's work does not change...

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 17

Petra, that's one of the main reasons I dislike hourly work.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 17

@Tiffany S wrote:

Petra, that's one of the main reasons I dislike hourly work.

Haha Smiley Very Happy

I like both. Seriously, I mix and match and will generally go with what the client prefers.

Like everything, both have advantages and disadvantages. A healthy mix works for me.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS