🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How we get paid when we use manual hours ...
Page options
atifsadiq7
Community Member

How we get paid when we use manual hours ?

Recently I have done an hourly project. I have worked some hours using tracker & added some hours of manual time that I have worked offline. I know that Hours using tracker automatically go for a review after Sunday night. But I want to know Is the same case with the Manual Time or Client has to approve it? My Client is Offline for 3 days & giving no response to my messages. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "Yeah, it was discussed before the Contract Started. I just want to know that is there is an option for the client to approve the manual hours before the Review on Sunday."

Atif:

Manual time and tracker-logged time are paid automatically.

There is no "option for the client to approve manual hours", because no "option" is needed. If you add manual time, you get paid AUTOMATICALLY for that time.

The only "option" that a client has is to intentionally dispute time, which takes initiative on the client's part. (This DOES happen, but I consider it something that rarely happens. After having over 200 jobs as a freelancer, I have never had this happen to me.)

The client can VIEW all time that you log within about 30 minutes after you log the time. The client can READ your memos about what kind of work you were doing. The client can see screenshots if the time is logged by the tracker.

So the client does have an opportunity to discuss the time with you, and the client can ask you to remove time if she doesn't agree with something.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
petra_r
Community Member

Atif S wrote:

Recently I have done an hourly project. I have worked some hours using tracker & added some hours of manual time that I have worked offline. I know that Hours using tracker automatically go for a review after Sunday night. But I want to know Is the same case with the Manual Time or Client has to approve it? My Client is Offline for 3 days & giving no response to my messages. 

Manual time is billed and charged exactly the same way as tracked time, but comes with no protection. Did you actually discuss it with the client before you added manual time? I'd never add manual time without clearing it with the client first (before adding it, not afterwards.)

So if the client does not pay or disputes, you will not get paid for manual time.

Thanks, Petra for the reply ,

Yeah, it was discussed before the Contract Started. 

Atif S wrote:

Thanks, Petra for the reply ,

I just want to know that is there is an option for the client to approve the manual hours before the Review on Sunday. 

There is no need and no way to do so. It gets billed and charged exactly the same way as the tracked time if you have added it.

re: "Yeah, it was discussed before the Contract Started. I just want to know that is there is an option for the client to approve the manual hours before the Review on Sunday."

Atif:

Manual time and tracker-logged time are paid automatically.

There is no "option for the client to approve manual hours", because no "option" is needed. If you add manual time, you get paid AUTOMATICALLY for that time.

The only "option" that a client has is to intentionally dispute time, which takes initiative on the client's part. (This DOES happen, but I consider it something that rarely happens. After having over 200 jobs as a freelancer, I have never had this happen to me.)

The client can VIEW all time that you log within about 30 minutes after you log the time. The client can READ your memos about what kind of work you were doing. The client can see screenshots if the time is logged by the tracker.

So the client does have an opportunity to discuss the time with you, and the client can ask you to remove time if she doesn't agree with something.

Preston H wrote:

If you add manual time, you get paid AUTOMATICALLY for that time.

The only "option" that a client has is to intentionally dispute time,

Unless the client does not pay. Or pulls a chargeback.

It is not true that the only way not to get paid for manual time is if the client disputes.

Hi Preston,

In case the client did intentionally dispute time, would we get notification that our manually added times were disputed? 

I got an hourly based contract, I did the job ,added the hours, talked to client, he was happy with the outcome and now the earnings are being showed in Work in Progress . Client ended the project yesterday. Left a 5 star review. When i hover the mouse on work in progress, it says This work will be reviewd by client on sunday . I just wanna know what happens if the client is offline and doesnt approve or doesnt do anything? Again, clients payment method was verified and he specifically said you're an honest man , regarding my job. Please Help. Also I added the manual hours but it was all mutual.

If the client now does nothing, you'll be paid after the usual waiting period.

and how long is that Sir? review on Sunday night. Upwork will get the payment on Monday and will be added to my account on Wednesday, right?

If the client does nothing and you are Top Rated your payment will be released by Upwork at midnight Greenwich Mean TIme the Thursday following the end of the Upwork workweek, which ends Sunday night at midnight GMT.

If you are not Top Rated, Upwork will make the funds available to you a few days after that.

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you opened a support ticket regarding this issue. Please allow our team 24-48 hours to review your request and reach out to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie, I hope you're well. I could use your advice on a situation. I've encountered an issue where I logged manual hours with client approval, but unfortunately, I haven't received payment, and there's no explanation provided. Any guidance on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Atif,

Avoid using manual time if at all possible.

And don't even think about it with a client you don't already know well and trust.

No client has any obligation whatsoever to pay you for manual time, even if they actually "allow" it on the Upwork system. If they dispute manual time you have added, Upwork cannot do anything to help you get paid for that lost time. No specific reason is required by Upwork; if the client says they don't want to pay for manual time you have added, you will not get paid no matter what good argument you might have to justify paying you.

554528d2
Community Member

Hello, I'm currently working on an hourly paid job, I have discussed with the client and we have decided to work using manual hours since it's not a job that can be tracked online. this is my first time working with this person however their rating is reassuring. How do i guarantee i get paid once I finish the job? 

There is no element of Upwork's system that will guarantee payment from a client when manual hours are used to track your billable work time.

Only use manual hours with clients you know well and trust completely. With any other approach you run the risk of never getting paid by an unscrupulous client - a problem we have seen discussed here many times from other trusting freelancers.

If the client does pay as agreed, your payment will be available to you on the same schedule as other hourly contract pay settlements are done:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063668-Get-Paid-for-Hourly-Contracts

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths