cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How would client profile details help you?

anton_upwork1
Upwork Staff
Anton B Upwork Staff Member Since: Jun 14, 2021
1 of 93

We’re exploring a potential new feature where we would ask clients for a bit more information about who they are, in addition to the usual job post details. We know talent in our Community have expressed a desire to see more information about clients so we wanted to reach out directly and see what information would be most helpful to you. 

Here are some questions we’d like to get your feedback on:

1. If we created a client profile, would you find such a client profile useful?
  2. How would a client profile be useful to you?
  3. What would you like to see in it? 
  4. What do you wish job posts currently had to make you feel more confident in applying? 
  5. For new clients who have 0 reviews and spend, would a client profile be more likely to encourage you to work with them?

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts as we explore features to make your experience even better! Please feel free to include additional ideas you have about client profiles you would like to share. 

7843c44d
Amy M Member Since: Jan 12, 2021
2 of 93

Hello

One of the first things I do when I have been granted a contract is to research the company and/or person. I want to see what their "look and feel" - style, colors, fonts, etc. 

And one thing that would be very valuable to know (that I wish I knew) was what field they are in.

- Are they an agency?

- Are they in the medical field?  

- Small business owner?

- Etc.

So, if I had that information up front, that would be a time saver for me! I would love that. 

Thanks!
Amy 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 93

This is kind of a silly question.

Because the answer is obvious:

What details do freelancers want to see about a client that we can't already see?

How many times has a client filed a dispute?

How many times have freelancers filed a dispute against a client?

How many times has a client gone to arbitration?

How many times has a client initiated any formal refund request?

Basically... freelancers should be able to see if a client is a serial manipulator of the system who gets freelancers to work for them and then gets their money back from the freelancer (or tries to).

Any other additional information about a client pales in comparison to the importance and significance of this.

anton_upwork1
Upwork Staff
Anton B Upwork Staff Member Since: Jun 14, 2021
4 of 93

Thanks Preston! How about for a brand new client who would have 0 disputes/refunds or contract activity on Upwork?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
5 of 93

re: "How about for a brand new client who would have 0 disputes/refunds or contract activity on Upwork?"

As a freelancer, I regularly work for brand new clients.

I don't have a problem with that.

For a brand new client, information about disputes/refunds SHOULD ALSO BE DISPLAYED.

We would see zero.

Alongside the fact that this client has had zero contracts, zero hires, etc.

A freelancer can make up their own mind about whether or not they want to work for a brand new client. I think most freelancers are perfectly happy to do so.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
6 of 93

I speak only for myself about the following things, but in case you're interested:

I don't care about most "info" about a client.

I don't care where the client lives.

I don't care what the client's name is.

I don't care what a client looks like.

I rarely even know what country my clients llve in.

Sometimes I literally work for clients whose names i don't know. I only know the name of the contract.

I have no problem whatsoever with freelancers who are interested in these things.

I think it is GREAT if freelancers are able to find out information about a client that THEY are curious about, or that they find interesting, or even useful.

If there is a client "profile" I am not going to read about a client's background or where they went to school or what their job title is or what their hobbies are or what their family is like or what their medical problems are or whatnot. I don't think any of those things should be private. I just don't care.

ashrafkhan81
Community Guru
Ashraf K Member Since: Oct 15, 2019
7 of 93

I will definitely work with a brand new client, it is like someone without a credit score so banks go ahead and take a chance with someone without a score. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
8 of 93

Preston H wrote:

This is kind of a silly question.

Because the answer is obvious:

What details do freelancers want to see about a client that we can't already see?

How many times has a client filed a dispute?

How many times have freelancers filed a dispute against a client?

How many times has a client gone to arbitration?

How many times has a client initiated any formal refund request?

Basically... freelancers should be able to see if a client is a serial manipulator of the system who gets freelancers to work for them and then gets their money back from the freelancer (or tries to).

Any other additional information about a client pales in comparison to the importance and significance of this.

I agree with all of this. I also think that encouraging clients to provide information about their business will only make it easier for freelancers to contact them (and potentially harrass them) off of the platform.

lizablau
Community Guru
Lisa B Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
9 of 93

The most important thing for me is being able to see their profiles when receiving direct offers.  

Right now, I'm unable to learn any details about clients when they send contract offers or even direct messages to set up meetings. There's no way to view their profiles or learn anything else about them, including their ratings.  

Many freelancers receive direct offers and messages, so this really needs to be fixed ASAP.  

Thank you!

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 93

Anton B. wrote: 

1) If we created a client profile, would you find such a client profile useful?

Yes. (There was much more transparency when Upwork was oDesk.)

2) How would a client profile be useful to you?

In addition  to what everyone else has said, Client job offers are often interesting but too sketchy, knowing a bit more about a client and what their business is, would make it easier to make our proposals more  relevant to what the client may be looking for. 

3) What would you like to see in it?

A little more transparency about the client's background (business and scholastic if  a student) and location.  I think this could go some way in reducing the following 

i) The number of scammers.

ii) It might also make it a little easier to identify farmers, who make healthy competition difficult.

iii) The number of cheating students.

iv) And all the other reasons mentioned by the others. And I am sure there are more! 

4) What do you wish job posts currently had to make you feel more confident in applying?

More relevant detail,  appropriate budgets, and realistic delivery times for skilled freelancers.  

5) For new clients who have 0 reviews and spend, would a client profile be more likely to encourage you to work with them?

Yes.  Although  if a new client posts an intelligently written job offer, 0 reviews doesn't bother me that much when it comes to applying.

ETA: Re-reading all the other posts, I agree with Preston and Christine about too much detail. But it would be good to know the type of business a client is in. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS