cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Drop in my feedback score, no bad feedback?

cchamberland
Colette C Member Since: Feb 17, 2007
1 of 10

I'm totally confused here. My feedback score dropped over night from a 4.94 to a 3.99 and if I look at my 'stats' it says 3.81 over the past 12 month. How so? All the feedback I've received it 4.8 and above? 

If you're counting 'non' feedback from customers in that score, that's not really fair. I've had customers that can barely figure out how to use upwork, let alone try to get them to leave feedback! I don't push it because I don't feel it's my duty to harass my clients into leaving me feedback. That's just tacky and unprofessional if you ask me.

The other problem I've seen many others on here complain about as well is my inability to close contracts without them counting against me. I use to contact clients and offer to close out the contract when we were done, not knowing this would be a bad thing. I think your logic here is flawed as well. Sometimes clients are busy and don't want to deal with the hassle, that's why I would do it for them.  Now I've got about 7 jobs sitting in 'paused' status because I refuse to close them and be dinged for it.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 10

Hi Colette,

I see a contract that recently ended with 3.1 star feedback. As it was a huge contract, and feedback is Dollar value weighed (so the more a contract was worth the heavier it counts, a $ 10 000 Dollar contract counts 100 times as much as a $ 100 one) this has affected your overall score very heavily.

The good news is that the overall feedback rating will go away shortly. However, that feedback will still be seen on your profile.

cchamberland
3 of 10

Thanks for that, I'm not seeing it but I'm pretty sure I know which contract it was. I left him 2.5 feedback. I think there should be some logic in place to detect when the client/contractor relationship apparently wasn't a good match if both left less than good feedback for each other.  

melissawrites
Ace Contributor
Melissa B Member Since: Jul 23, 2015
4 of 10

Interesting to learn about how things are weighted.

Question about the "contract" ...I have a few contracts that started out as 30 or 50 dollars but ended up being closer to 500 after the client was comfortable with my skills. Are these types of contracts weighted for the full amount, or are they counted as only the intiial contract?

kochubei_valeria
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 10

Hi Melissa,

The total amount paid on the contract matters for how much the feedback contributes to the average star rating, not the budget initially specified.

~ Valeria
Untitled
d_lidwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
6 of 10

Lol, call me stupid, but why does the amount earned on a contract have any influence on our star ratings or JSS?

petra_r
Community Guru
7 of 10

@Dawn L wrote:

Lol, call me stupid, but why does the amount earned on a contract have any influence

Personally I think it makes sense, the more was spent and the longer it went on the more significant it should be, surely?

A bit like a 10 year marriage meaning more than a one night stand?

d_lidwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
8 of 10

@Petra R wrote:

Personally I think it makes sense, the more was spent and the longer it went on the more significant it should be, surely?

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that the longer we've worked with a client should be more significant, and should reflect on our feedback rating.

But, I don't think the amount of money we've made for any client should be factored.

Valeria said that these things are considered when figuring the average star feedback, so I guess it really doesn't matter now since the average star feedback will be removed soon, but now this leads me to wonder if this is also considered when calculating our JSS.

cchamberland
9 of 10

I agree - somewhat. What if it was an abusive 10 year marriage but you tried your best to stick it out and be 'professional' about it until you just couldn't take it anymore and decided enough is enough? Would you be penalized for leaving an abusive marriage? Probably not.

Again, I think this is where I think both sides of the relationship should be looked at. If he gave me low feedback and I gave him low feedback - apparently there was an issue with the relationship and it shouldn't be weighed as much as a relationship that worked well on both sides. 

petra_r
Community Guru
10 of 10

Colette, the good news is that average star rating will be a thing of the past shortly, so it won't affect you other than the fact that it shows on your profile (unless you refund which I asume you will be quite rightly unwilling to do)

The bad news is that it will probably also have hit your job success score....

Again, I think this is where I think both sides of the relationship should be looked at. If he gave me low feedback and I gave him low feedback - apparently there was an issue with the relationship and it shouldn't be weighed as much as a relationship that worked well on both sides. 

Sorry but that really makes no sense. Feedback is two people's honest opinion ofhow the working relationship went. Saying that positive opinions should count more than negative ones doesn't make sense, as it would make a complete nonsense of the whole system.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS