🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Huge decline in quality jobs for designers an...
Page options
hamadrehman
Community Member

Huge decline in quality jobs for designers and extreme level competition?

I don't know if I am lucky to have landed on Upwork to pursue a career, or unfortunate to have joined at a wrong time as I find most of the jobs posted to be fake or dubious, and the numbers are declining each day. All the good jobs having great competition and minimizing the opportunity for newcomers like me to strike a chance. In addition to that, the unreal number of connects people use to boost proposals make me wonder if I would ever land a job.

All issues set aside, I am still optimistic to carry on with my effort and keep improving. Upwork has always been a great platform afterall. 

Thanks!

Hammad 

2 REPLIES 2
celgins
Community Member

The decline in quality jobs is probably an illusion being driven by the uptick in low-quality, fake jobs. In 2022, Upwork saw an increase in the number of active clients, and some of those were likely fraudsters who added their share of phony, low-grade jobs. This trend seems to being continuing in 2023.

Also, Upwork noted in their most recent financial forecast that clients are more cautious and taking much longer to spend, which means fewer job postings, fewer hires, and lower hire rates. These are likely the good clients with good jobs, but are slow to make purchasing decisions due to macroeconomic conditions.

I think the number of quality jobs are still there; they are simply being drowned out by fake, low-quality jobs.

hamadrehman
Community Member

How do you propose a solution for starters who are genuinely out their to put a mark and are faced with fraudsters most of the times?

Secondly, don't you think boosted proposals are killing newcomers, making impossible to compete. I try hard with proposals, but they aren't even viewed!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths