🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Huge drop in job invitations
Page options
bb7effcf
Community Member

Huge drop in job invitations

Hey guys,

all throughout 2020 i was getting between 4 to 10 invitations weekly on Upwork. i noticed that since Jan 2021 the amount of invitiations and views dropped significantly and became 0 very abruptly. And since Jan of this year i have been getting 1 to 4 invitations monthly on average. I am not applying to jobs and my Hire rate is very high, also my interviews, which doesnt make sense. Is there something that's changed in the algorithm? Did the launching of project Catalogs affect freelancers getting new invitations, or am i missing out on something here?

Personally im not a huge fan of project catalogs so also if i can know if the shift of all job opportunities has moved to there that way i force myself to invest in project catalogs. If not, id be happy to continue with tailored work instead of Catalogs.

A little note, i declined about 85% of the job interviews in the past because i was very busy and work selectively, so i dont know if that contributed to the algorithm removing me. I would just want to have a general update on things!

Thanks for letting me know.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Alexis B wrote:

...i noticed that since Jan 2021 the amount of invitiations and views dropped significantly and became 0 very abruptly. And since Jan of this year i have been getting 1 to 4 invitations monthly on average.

This isn't true or possible.  You have been invited 34 times in the last 90 days. An average of 11 times a month. Profile views were broken for a while by the way, the views happened but weren't showing on the My Stats page.

A little note, i declined about 85% of the job interviews in the past because i was very busy and work selectively, so i dont know if that contributed to the algorithm removing me.

You haven't been "removed" but it would make sense, wouldn't it? Clients can only invite a very limited number of freelancers. It would make sense for Upwork to show freelancers to the client who are open to new opportunities. 

I have found that when I start applying after a period of time of not applying, my invites and my views go up so yes, applying seems to boost the search placement.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Alexis B wrote:

...i noticed that since Jan 2021 the amount of invitiations and views dropped significantly and became 0 very abruptly. And since Jan of this year i have been getting 1 to 4 invitations monthly on average.

This isn't true or possible.  You have been invited 34 times in the last 90 days. An average of 11 times a month. Profile views were broken for a while by the way, the views happened but weren't showing on the My Stats page.

A little note, i declined about 85% of the job interviews in the past because i was very busy and work selectively, so i dont know if that contributed to the algorithm removing me.

You haven't been "removed" but it would make sense, wouldn't it? Clients can only invite a very limited number of freelancers. It would make sense for Upwork to show freelancers to the client who are open to new opportunities. 

I have found that when I start applying after a period of time of not applying, my invites and my views go up so yes, applying seems to boost the search placement.

bb7effcf
Community Member

Thanks! I genuinely havent been calculating the invitations i'm getting so i've mistaken the calculation. 34 invitations divided by 3 months would make 2 to 3 on average weekly, which is the case i'm getting.

It definitely makes sense that the views and invitations would decrease, i just wanted to clarify that and wonder about the Project Catalogs launching: do you have any idea if the launching of Catalogs has decreased the amount of jobs posted in the other regular marketplace? Do you think it's important that we start adapting to the Catalogs method of doing work with clients?

petra_r
Community Member

Alexis B wrote:

I just wanted to clarify that and wonder about the Project Catalogs launching: do you have any idea if the launching of Catalogs has decreased the amount of jobs posted in the other regular marketplace? Do you think it's important that we start adapting to the Catalogs method of doing work with clients?

There are (massively) more job posts than there were this time a year ago.

I can't say if the catalogue projects have led to less hiring from job posts, I don't have access to the numbers. In my category it's fairly difficult to create meaningful pre-packaged projects, so I haven't bothered either.

Petra,

This happened with me as well in last 90 days, hardly I have recieved 8 invites.

Looks like something is broken. Can you please check/suggest what is going on with my account?

Thanks

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members