🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Hundreds of Invites on a Featured Job
Page options
iaabraham
Community Member

Hundreds of Invites on a Featured Job

I flagged it but also posting it here so that a Mod can look into it, because often the team doesn't remove flagged posts. 

How has this been allowed to stay up for 6 months ("renewed 6 months ago")? Hundreds of invites sent and asking the applicant to send a test video without mention of paying for it. Just because it's a featured job?

(And the irony is they specified "(Please read carefully!)" in their job post and invited me to an online teaching project without even bothering to read my profile)

[I suppose this link will be removed]

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

[Please don't remove the images below as they don't contain identifying info]

asking for free work.png

upwork job hundreds of invites.png

4 REPLIES 4
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Isabelle Anne,

I checked the job post in question and asked our team to review it again.

Not advising on its status, I'd like to address a couple of points you raised. While the high number of invites can sometimes be understood as a cause for concern, based on the client's activity I don't see an issue in this case. I do see that you might have been invited in error and while I understand your frustration, this isn't a TOS violation. Regarding the video sample requested in the job post, our team will review and take additional steps in line with their decision and our processes. 

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Isabelle, I've found the following to be an effective response ... to the extent I've gotten more than a few apologies -

"While your job is interesting (no one sez you have to be honest here  😉 ) cattle call are for aspiring actors ... not for  professional writers (designers, etc.)"

Wendy C wrote:

Isabelle, I've found the following to be an effective response ... to the extent I've gotten more than a few apologies -

"While your job is interesting (no one sez you have to be honest here  😉 ) cattle call are for aspiring actors ... not for  professional writers (designers, etc.)"

I always send similar snarky responses to these spammers (not as nicely worded as yours!), and never get any apology. I think I'm going to make my message ruder to get the point across. I've actually saved a form response somewhere that I copy and paste when declining these "clients"!

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Isabelle Anne,

I checked the job post in question and asked our team to review it again.

Not advising on its status, I'd like to address a couple of points you raised. While the high number of invites can sometimes be understood as a cause for concern, based on the client's activity I don't see an issue in this case. I do see that you might have been invited in error and while I understand your frustration, this isn't a TOS violation. Regarding the video sample requested in the job post, our team will review and take additional steps in line with their decision and our processes. 

Thanks. In this case, is it not a cause for concern because of the nature of the job and/or the client's history of hiring? I personally don't think any posted job should allow for hundreds of invites. That just screams spam and also signals that Upwork is nothing more than some random online job board.

(And oh, the fact that the client invites just anyone to apply without reading their profile indicates that this is not the kind of user UW should be encouraging.)

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members