🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I FEEL CHEATED
Page options
andresduk
Community Member

I FEEL CHEATED

Can someone explain to me how he bought a membership and 80 connections and spent everything and they have not given me any contract? Is this a joke or what?

6 REPLIES 6
florydev
Community Member

andres daniel d wrote:

Can someone explain to me how he bought a membership and 80 connections and spent everything and they have not given me any contract? Is this a joke or what?

Happy to explain but I don't understand, who is he?

Thank you, I explain, I updated my plan to plus, I bought 80 additional connections and spent everything and I couldn't get any contract, not even one for $ 5 or $ 10. I didn't get anything and wasted time and money, since it is possible that something happen

yitwail
Community Member

Andres, do you mean someone upgraded to plus membership or something else?

andres daniel d wrote:

Let me clarify this for you: Upwork provides a marketing service and payment processing. 

Upwork is not a recruiter. Upwork is not a temp agency. You pay for marketing services, not for a contract. You pay percents of your earnings for payment processing. 

If your expectation was that you would pay for connects and get a job, then that was a false expectation. If you realign your expectation that you will get a job if you have services that are in demand and are an expert at what you do, and can provide unique services, then you MAY get a job, but it is not a guarantee. 

Hope this clarifies things. 

Jumping in to provide a different clarification angle:

Upwork is not a vending machine for jobs. Putting in more Connects doesn't mean you're going to get hired by someone. It's a place for clients and freelancers to find each other. Nothing more, nothing less.

Think of connects like postage stamps. You need a certain number to mail off each proposal, and you don't get those stamps back just because you didn't get hired or interviewed.

If you're firing off proposals at such a rate that you go through 80 connects that quickly, then you need to rethink how you write those proposals. They need to be tailored to each client and each job posting. This is your chance to tell them how you will solve that specific problem, not to simply regurgitate information that's already on your profile.

The proposal tells them how you're going to help them. Your profile is the proof that you know what you're talking about and can do what you're claiming.

And at the same time you should only be sending proposals for jobs where you're certain you provide a better value than someone else. Notice I said value, not lower price. If you're trying to compete on price, you've already lost, because there's always someone who will do it cheaper. A race to the bottom has no winners.

Over what period of time did you spend those connects?

If you are going through them too quickly, it would suggest that you are not limiting yourself to applying only to jobs you are suitably qualified for. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths