Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Must Turn Down Invitations Now?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
1 of 21

I've had a few job invites over the last couple of days and because they are looking for intermediate level and I'm at an expert level I have to turn them down or risk being put back at Intermediate level if I take these jobs.

This seems very unfair. 

As well I used to get invites to Entry Level some times and now I don't even want to reply to those. There is no way I want to risk be judged as Entry Level.

There must be some way around this. Invites are hard to come by and I really hate having to turn them down,.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 21

why would you be "downgraded" if you had 2 expert level jobs in the past?

Why would responding to entry level invites affect you in any way?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
3 of 21

I am guessing Jean has just as much faith in the UpWork algorithm correctly calculating her expertise level based on jobs she completed before the algorithm was invented as most of the people here...

This is what UpWork gets for making illogical changes that are poorly (if at all) explained. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
4 of 21

@Hanna N wrote:

I am guessing Jean has just as much faith in the UpWork algorithm correctly calculating her expertise level based on jobs she completed before the algorithm was invented as most of the people here...

This is what UpWork gets for making illogical changes that are poorly (if at all) explained. 

That's the problem nicely summarised. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 21

@Jean S wrote:

I've had a few job invites over the last couple of days and because they are looking for intermediate level and I'm at an expert level I have to turn them down or risk being put back at Intermediate level if I take these jobs.

This seems very unfair. 

As well I used to get invites to Entry Level some times and now I don't even want to reply to those. There is no way I want to risk be judged as Entry Level.

There must be some way around this. Invites are hard to come by and I really hate having to turn them down,.

Jean, as I understand it there is only one way for the level to: up. You won't be downgraded again. At least that is what it says now, tomorrow, who knows? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 21

"Jean, as I understand it there is only one way for the level to: up. You won't be downgraded again. At least that is what it says now, tomorrow, who knows? "

Joachim, I hope you are right, because I see it the way Jean does. It could be a stat thing - if you are awarded too many entry-level jobs, you may well be downgraded from intermediate or experienced. But it is worth reading Hanna's post in the other thread on this, where she points out that any external experience (degrees, jobs etc.) will have no bearing on how Upwork perceives your level - it is ridiculous.

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 21

@Nichola L wrote:

"Jean, as I understand it there is only one way for the level to: up. You won't be downgraded again. At least that is what it says now, tomorrow, who knows? "

Joachim, I hope you are right, because I see it the way Jean does. It could be a stat thing - if you are awarded too many entry-level jobs, you may well be downgraded from intermediate or experienced. But it is worth reading Hanna's post in the other thread on this, where she points out that any external experience (degrees, jobs etc.) will have no bearing on how Upwork perceives your level - it is ridiculous.

Nicola,  IMHO the whole situation regarding stats and job success score is ridiculous.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 21

@Nichola L wrote:

Nichola, this is what Lena specified in the other thread:

• Your expertise level is determined by the highest level with 2 completed jobs on Upwork. This level is what you will be shown as in Freelancer search results.

Unquote

For me this clearly says you won't be rated down again. To be frank, IMHO this is about as useful as the language definition, native/master.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
9 of 21

If you are judged to be an expert and clients are searching for Intermediat Level does that mean that all expert freelancers will not be shown? Only the Intermediate Level freelancers will be shown? How do we go backwards if we want.

I used to change mine frequently according to market conditions.

I simply want to show up in the results for Intermediate and Expert Level. How do you accomplish that?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
10 of 21

Lena commented on this in the announcment thread regarding the changes to the expertise levels.

"Yes, once you have completed 2 jobs at an expertise level you will remain at that level until you complete 2 jobs at a higher level. Your exertise will not go down. " - Lena

So, providing it works properly, as long as you have completed the 2 required jobs in the Expert level, you should be safe to accept invitations from, and even apply to, lower expertise level jobs.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS