Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Must Turn Down Invitations Now?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
11 of 21

@Jean S wrote:

If you are judged to be an expert and clients are searching for Intermediat Level does that mean that all expert freelancers will not be shown? Only the Intermediate Level freelancers will be shown? How do we go backwards if we want.

I used to change mine frequently according to market conditions.

I simply want to show up in the results for Intermediate and Expert Level. How do you accomplish that?

Jean, I used to change my experience level as well - trying to figure out what worked better for me. It didn't really accomplish much as my profile views are stuck at 5 or 6 per week, regardless of my selected experience level.

I simply want to show up in the results for Intermediate and Expert Level. How do you accomplish that?

Now, that really is the price question, isn't it? That's what I want, too.

But instead of fixing the broken search function they meddled with experience levels...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
12 of 21

@Jean S wrote:

If you are judged to be an expert and clients are searching for Intermediat Level does that mean that all expert freelancers will not be shown? Only the Intermediate Level freelancers will be shown?....

Jean,

Contractor consensus as I read it is that we have no idea what clients see. Nobody seems to know how client search relates to levels—not, so far as we know, in any rational way. That's the problem Upwork is papering over with a new set of problems.

It sounds as if the new levels are meant to be exclusive, and that there is no way to downgrade.

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
13 of 21

I posted in the Announcement thread, but I want to know how I am going to be categorized. It seems because I have worked two Entry Level I am going to get stuck in Entry level  because I have several jobs with no category for level of expertise and 1 Expert and 1 Intermediate, but one of the Entry levels the client said Upwork placed the job as Entry level(at $20.00 an hour)  and he could find no place to change it and the other I have worked 3 years at that Job.

So it will be curious to see where I get placed. It seems several of my jobs have zilch for a level. Although when the categories first started I had been placed in Expert. So I have no idea where I am going to end up and how my jobs with no level fit into this whole thing.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
14 of 21

I would imagine since you've only reached the requirements for entry-level, then yes, you'd be listed as an entry-level freelancer. The jobs you've completed so far that are not categorized couldn't be considered. Like you, I'm kind of in this same boat as well. I have only accepted one hourly job on this platform, and that was nearly 3 years ago - before the expertise levels were introduced. All of my work since then has been on fixed rate jobs, and I'm assuming that they were all completed before they started allowing clients to select experience level (and if not, I have no way of knowing what level my completed jobs were listed as anyway). 

So, again, just as with the implementation of the JSS, and all the hard work that I've done over the last 2 1/2 years or so, I'll likely be placed back to entry-level lol.

I'm curious as to why your client couldn't change the rate on that one project... or better yet, why you couldn't lower it if you so desired.

Highlighted
Community Guru
15 of 21

He invited me to a job that was an expert level although it was full time, and I did not have full time hours and had sent him a note back that if he had something part time I would be happy to speak to him. So he sent me the job offer, but when I ask why it stated at the time Entry level he stated that when he selected the closest to what he could find for what he wanted to hire me for he had no option to change it as it was in the Entry level. 

And why would I want to change the rate of pay? He hired me for $20.00 an hour? The point I was making is that the job really was not an entry level job it was an invite and when Upwork was having issues for some reason it assigned the job an entry level with no other choice.

Also how could a job I have had for almost 3 years still be considered entry level?

Also why when categories were being assigned did Upwork tell us that we choose an option for our level when we signed up but I am seeing others stating there was no option nor did we select an experience level as it shows with 2 of my jobs which are actually 6 of my ten jobs as I changed positions or was given more money but only one of those has a level which was entry level.

Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 21

Suzanne N wrote:

He invited me to a job that was an expert level although it was full time, and I did not have full time hours and had sent him a note back that if he had something part time I would be happy to speak to him. So he sent me the job offer, but when I ask why it stated at the time Entry level he stated that when he selected the closest to what he could find for what he wanted to hire me for he had no option to change it as it was in the Entry level. 

And why would I want to change the rate of pay? He hired me for $20.00 an hour? The point I was making is that the job really was not an entry level job it was an invite and when Upwork was having issues for some reason it assigned the job an entry level with no other choice.

LOL! I didn't mean that you, specifically, would want to change the pay rate. I mean, there are times that we accept more, or less, of a rate than clients initially ask for. At least for fixed rate contracts. I don't work hourly rates - with the exception of one project a few years ago - so my thoughts might not be suitable here.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
17 of 21

Suzanne, exactly! 

Say all a freelancer's jobs have been at entry level, and yet he or she has clocked  up an impressive number of hours, an excellent JSS and the requisite earnings to be top-rated, how can that freelancer then be labeled by Upwork as a beginner/entry level with little experience? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
18 of 21

Nichola,

The way it adds up it looks like I am going to be labeled Entry Level with a rate of $20 an hour ... Where is the LMAO smiley....

Not only that. The job I am still working has a vague description and I started 3 years ago as a Call Reviewer, the year after the hired me as Entry Level doing SEO but two years later we have not changed job description but I am an Account Manager so really this is just ridulous that they are labeling are experience levels. 

I am sure there are other long term hourly that are not doing the same thing they started doing. That is like stating my Customer Service job is entry  level although I have 10+ years of Customer Service Experience.

Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 21

I suppose the only solution for your situation would be to ask the client to close the job you're currently working on, and rehire you with the correct job description, experience level, and pay rate - that way you'll have your second expert job under your belt and can be listed correctly.

Highlighted
Community Guru
20 of 21

Dawn,

I no longer work for that client. I have one client on Upwork and I have been with them 3 years in Dec. I have worked 3 contracts for them. I am not asking them to close anything. The job I was referring to my whole point is I have 2 Entry Level Jobs. One I am still working, but the other was a mistake on Upworks part. The other jobs have no skill level and one has Expert and one has Intermediate.

My whole point being is I will be thrown into Entry Level and several of my jobs have no level so I am curious how Upwork is going to handle jobs that have no skill level with the job description.

I am not a newbie nor a beginner. It mattered not to me what level was on a job when I took them before. But now as always they are doing everything retroactive and messing things up.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS