Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Need Advice on New Contract Problem

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
11 of 24

@Suzanne N wrote:

I still stand by it will not make a big difference if she has not closed any contracts previously. I closed two jobs, have 80% on Clients who would recommend you but I still have a 100% JS and 5 stars. I have closed two contracts in 2.5 years. one was a job which never started and the second was one I felt was unethical.

I don't believe it will have a huge impact if it is not a repeated factor. 

Suzanne,

Closing the contract that never started didn't harm you because you have been on here for quite a while. With many other contracts completed successfully to even out this one unfortunate case. I assume it will not hurt Jean that much either.

But not everybody is you. Other people read this as well, people who haven't worked here for several years. In fact, people like me. I closed one contract with no money exchanged - and that client left negative private feedback - and my JS score dropped by 11%. 

So please, it didn't happen to you (good for you) but these things have happened and do happen to other people all the time.

I agree that Jean will probably not suffer that much should she decide to close that one dodgy contract. And maybe you are only referring to her case. But you make it sound like it is a universal truth that doing so will not affect negatively anyone who goes down that road. And that is what I object to. Because it does.

Ela

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
12 of 24

I am not sure why you are reading more into what I posted, but I posted on what happened to me as well as what my stats were, I did not say it would not affect everyone, I also stated if it was done more then once or twice it would affect your score. The only thing I posted was "my experience" and if you had an issue I am sorry, but I can only reflect on my experience and knowing Jean has not closed other contracts. If you don't like what I say ignore it. But read what I wrote before you go off at me.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
13 of 24

@Suzanne N wrote:

If you don't like what I say ignore it. But read what I wrote before you go off at me.

I read every single word you wrote. And responded accordingly. Maybe just take your own advice?

Pankaj V Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
14 of 24

Why Ending a contract without any payment is counted as in-efficiency of Freelancer. A contract is started and ended without any payment transfers is always due to mis-understanding from both ends then why only freelancers are affected due to this.

Community Guru
Mr M Member Since: Apr 27, 2013
15 of 24

The rating of your profile goes up and down with the amount of money and for sure your JS rate will go down on the basis that you are going to close the job not your client . Smiley Wink

"One thing I know, that I know nothing. This is the source of my wisdom"
Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
16 of 24

Jeans,

You should have to talk to your client that we have discused about 2 to 3  hours may be he will pay you the rest as bonus otherwise you should have to do this job just for one hour.

If you end the contract your public rating is not going to effect but your JS may effect beacuse the robot will go against you so its better to finish that job succesfully and just get paid for an hours.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 24

Are you worried that your client only allotted a certain amount of hours, and the work will take more hours than that?

I doubt you need to be worried about anything. You provide quality work, and what most clients want is NOT to spend a specific amount of money, but to get the job done in a way that they believe they are receiving a good VALUE.

"Value" may mean paying just a little money for something little, or paying a lot of money for significant, impressive work.

If you do 1 hour's worth of valuable work, and the client sees what you did with that hour and realizes that more hours will benefit him, then the client will want to increase your hours so that you can continue to provide good value to him.

If you bump into the number of hours limit, simply send your client what you have done so far and ask if he would like to increase the number of hours for you to do more this week, or wait until next week so you can do more work then.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
18 of 24

Thanks Preston. I fully discussed with the client the work to be done and the amount of time I estimated it would take. He did dodge a bit and didn't seem to want me to know exactly how much writing he wanted done. Then he hired me without firming up what it was going to take to get his project done. He wants his entire LinkedIn profile setup and made professional. I constantly told him it would take 2-3 hours and we were still discussing it when he hired me and gave me 1 hour. The problem is I didn't find out about the 1 hour until I accepted what I thought was a 2-3 hour project. I guess I should never have accepted it until things were finalized through messages, but if I don't decline it then I get docked for taking too long to accept it.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
19 of 24

It sounds like the client is a bit dodgy with regards to his willingness to actually pay you for the number of hours you work. I don't know why he didn't just set this up as a straight-up fixed-rate contract, because that's what he is treating this like.

It sounds like you will need to decide if you want to simply do one hour of work and submit what you accomplish in that time and tell him that you'll be happy to continue the project when more hours are available, and risk irritating him,

or...

take 2 to 3 hours to finish up the project, while only recording one hour of work, and then be done with it.

The Upwork user interface controls certainly allow you both options.

Officially Upwork's policy is "an hour of pay for an hour of work."

But I'm sure most of us have done work for clients on hourly contracts without logging the time.

If a client emails me a question and I answer it without logging the time, I'm doing work without logging time. And most of us have done more than that.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
20 of 24

Jean,

I would do what you think you should do, but Preston gave you good advise.

If you feel you acceptted something that you can't do, then cancel the job. I cancelled one awhile back as they left out on a product testing that I wouldn't be testing the product, only writing a review.

I felt it was  dishonest, I wrote and email back and stated I am sorry I can't accept the job as I don't feel I can write an honest review of a product I had not tested, and ended the job. It did not affect my JS as that was several months back and I still have 100% JS and 5 stars.

It did affect I am sure my score on who you recommend or would you rehire whatever it is, as I think they still can fill out private feedback, but it really did not do anything to my JS. It may has though as I Had 98% for awhile and never figured out what that was from, and don't think it was that job since that job was in the last few months.

You can send a note and tell him that we discussed it would take longer but you have only allotted for 1 hour, it really needs either to be increased or may I put manual time in. Ask him outfront so you have it in your emails here on upwork. But if you can't do it I doubt one job is going to damage you.

It has been posted by the mods it is repeated ones or refunds that affect your job score.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS