cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Simply Give Up. You Win!!

jsutherland
Community Guru

Forced to close a contract because there had been no work for a month on it, I wrote the client about the need to close it. I also requested he leave feedback, both stars ** and written.

This is what he said (not verbatim so please do not remove:

Jean is courteous and timely and offers fair pricing. She takes creative guidance well and is good to work with.

And I get a grand 4 STARS

So there goes my 6 YEARS of freelancing life on Upwork.

My 100% Job Success - Gone

My overall Star Ranking - Gone

Chance for getting jobs - Greatly reduced.

In six years I've never received such a low score.

ALL BECAUSE ONE CLIENT HAS NO IDEA HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS.

23 REPLIES 23
stephenbrightman
Community Guru

Jean - it's not showing on your profile.

And with respect, if 4 stars is the lowest you got in six years, you're doing OK. It happens. A bummer but it happens, and four stars is not officially seen as a bad score. People don't have a right to their perfect JS or star scores.

Yep, got to agree with Stephen on this one. My lowest has been 4.3 and I was pretty offended at the time, but now I realize how silly that was. It could have been worse and if I'm here long enough, 1-star ratings from trouble-making clients are inevitable.

Jean, if I read your feedback correctly, that's a 4.2 rating for a short-term contract. Even though you say you've never received such a low score in 6 years, you've had other 4.2 ratings in the past few years, so I'm not sure why you're so worked up about this one.

Also, why did you feel the need to end the contract after only a month of inactivity? Is it because Upwork pauses the contract or is there some new 1-month penalty that I'm not aware of? 

cristianadrianf
Community Guru
That's correct, Stephen, but some people tend to be perfectionist, so let's say a 4 star rating from my current job would also bother me, as I know the level of quality for my work. More to notice that's a load of work in her past, that's unconvenient after all. Also I noticed a delay in their system with regard to feedback propagation.
heavenmade
Community Guru

None of us are perfect including clients!

You can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time!

chadworth
Community Leader

I'm so sorry to hear that Jean.

I got cursed that way once.

Bear in mind though, that the star rating is weighted towards those jobs/clients that pay more.

So if this is a small job, it won't have much effect on your ratings.

Small consolation, but there it is.

😞

You'll bounce back though.  I still see people with a less than 5 star rating with 100% client happiness.

In fact, one of my favorite freelancers' profile is like that.  I tease her about it at least once a week.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

With my vision it looked like 4.0 until I just reviewed the "normal" posting of the feedback.

I asked for it to be closed as I was told that contracts over 30 days old with no work could be closed by UpWork which would result in "No Feedback" and be harmful to the Job Success score. Garnor said "Yes, prolonged periods of inactivity on a job are bad."

So many unknowns here.

I wrote to the client and he replied saying that 4.20 is a good number and feels that 3.0 and above represents good work. He gave me 3 stars on quality and skills. I wonder what he thinks 5* work looks like.

Jean

I asked for it to be closed as I was told that contracts over 30 days old with no work could be closed by UpWork which would result in "No Feedback" and be harmful to the Job Success score.

I dont think so its true I have a paused contract from 9 months and nothing happen no one close it the client just leave it for further work but did not provide more work.

May be the client rate you as he rate on diffrent online stores when he purchase somthing from there.You should have to check client feedback history how he rate the other freelancers.

Jean,

I think part (or perhaps all) of the problem is the merger -- a little bit taken from there, a little from here -- and suddenly the whole scoring system is off-balance.

The difference between Elance and Upwork (and oDesk) is that on Elance you can work to negate a bad review. So if you get a 1 or a 2, after a while, a series of 5s will balance out the bad. You couldn't do that on oDesk (except that one's yearly ratings could show higher or lower), and from what I understand now, one can only go down on Upwork.

I have had an account here for five years, and I have had two tiny blips and two or three no reviews. So my overall rating is (for the moment) 4.97 but it can never go up from there.

My overall rating on Elance is 4.9, but if I do well on my next few assignments, it will show as 5 again.

IMHO the persons who thought up this present system need to have another round table conference.. 😉

What we all have to remember is that our skills and our proposals count for more than our stats, and money buys more food than stars.

Nichola L wrote:

I have had an account here for five years, and I have had two tiny blips and two or three no reviews. So my overall rating is (for the moment) 4.97 but it can never go up from there.

Yes, it can go back up. I had a less than five star rating and my star rating worked its way back up to five. Of course, I promptly lost that rating when another client gave me less than perfect. He gave me four on availability because I told him if he wanted me to work on his project, he would have to wait for two weeks before I would have time to start. He agreed to wait but then marked me down on availability.

Jean - it's his right to give a score of 4.4 , and to think that that is a good score. There is no law on here that says everyone has to give a perfect five stars all the time. I see you've responded by complaining about his low score. I honestly don't think that comment will do you any favours with people looking at your profile. Some of them are just going to think "sigh - another one of those who insists on five stars"..

From  further up...

"That's correct, Stephen, but some people tend to be perfectionist"

Believe me, I'm an utter perfectionist - that' why i'm so good at my job. But only in the work I do - I can't be reponsible for how people perceive it once I've done my perefect best. I'm seriously close to getting a less than perfect score in the next few days from a client who, well lets say we are different kinds of people, and his idea of perfection might not be the same as mine. But unless it's seriously low and oviously vexatious I'm gonna have to take it on the chin.

@Stephen B wrote:

Jean - it's his right to give a score of 4.4 , and to think that that is a good score. There is no law on here that says everyone has to give a perfect five stars all the time.

He started out giving me a 4 and then changed it to 4.4

He tells me that he only give people a 5 if they are exceptional and go above and beyond....

Also, people suggest I scan clients history etc. but in my category 75% of my clients who want a resume done are new clients who have come here only for the resume.

Jean, you say "He started out giving me a 4 and then changed it to 4.4" - did you enable him to change the feedback or...? I'm asking because I've read some very disturbing posts about clients being able to change feedback without the freelancer enabling them to do so.

To follow up from my complaint of a week ago, I was told that clients can change feedback as often as they like over a period of two weeks. Therefore, it is entirely possible for a client to use this loophole as a way of tormenting the frellancer.

sivavranagaro
Community Guru

This is exactly what I'm afraid of now when we are forced to force clients to close contracts.

On one side you have JS tending to drop down if a contract is idle, and on other side a client who gets annoyed because you ask him/her to close the contract.

"So my overall rating is (for the moment) 4.97 but it can never go up from there."

Yes it can - the maths of it just means it will take a very long time and a large number of scores higher than 4.97.

I agree with Vesna. Clients feel hassled when you message them after weeks trying to get them to close a contract, and that may burn us greatly. Furthermore after a couple weeks, the excellent work you did is no longer fresh in their minds so you're just getting an average score at best - but usually not a perfect one.

Why is this our responsibility??

---- easy like Sunday morning ----

@ Stephen

"Yes it can - the maths of it just means it will take a very long time and a large number of scores higher than 4.97".

My 4,97 scores date back to 2010 - how long is a very long time? 😉

david_gregory
Community Guru

Jean, that score is not going to kill your freelance career or even your career on Upwork. Sure, it's not as high as you wanted but it's still a fairly good score.

I actually found it kind of liberating when I lost my five star rating. It was just one more thing that I didn't have to worry about. It was gone so I no longer had to worry about keeping it.

Also, Upwork won't close your contract. I've had contracts that have been open for years with no work. I just closed one of those after waiting for almost two years for the client to get back to me. Funnily enough, three weeks after I closed the contract, the client contacted me, apologized for disappearing and asked if he could leave feedback for me. He also wanted to know if I would be willing to work on his project again in a couple of weeks.

I'm in the process of closing a couple more right now. I'm just waiting for the deadline I gave them in my emails to pass. One has been open for at least a year and another one for about six months with no work. I've never heard from Upwork (or oDesk) about closing the contracts other than the contracts being paused by Upwork.

I was told that contracts over 30 days old with no work could be closed by UpWork which would result in "No Feedback" and be harmful to the Job Success score.

Garnor said "Yes, prolonged periods of inactivity on a job are bad."

Hi Jean,

Upwork does not close contracts that haven't been active. Contracts will be paused automatically after a period of inactivity though.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS