🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: I WANT TO REPORT A CLIENT FOR HER DELIBER...
Page options
munirsunbal
Community Member

I WANT TO REPORT A CLIENT FOR HER DELIBERATE LOW RECOMMENDATION TO HER EVERY HIRED FREELANCER,

Hi Upwork Community

I want to highlight an issue and need to know more about it. I am working on upwork from a few months and i started working with a client. She gave me instant jobs for her writing work, and gave me 5 stars on public feedback as well. I got only 2-3 other clients, and most of the time i was working with her. 

I got 100% appraisal from all the other clients as well. But my job success appeard to be 53% when it appeared for the first time. I got worried, and the first thought came into my mind was that might be she was not not recommendting me in hidden feedback so that i do not get to apply for other jobs and be her writer only.

Then i checked her other hired Freelancers and i was surprised, everyone has a job score of 53-60%. Then i searched there other reviews and it was fine. I am 100% sure that the client did it delieberatly. I stopped working for her, got another project, and my client recommendtaion went up from 35% to 40% with one job only. 

I want Your help to guide me in this matter, i dont know what to do or how to report the person. I am sure that if upwork community or experts check the hidden feedback of that client for every freelancer, they will know that she is doing it just to make writers work only for her in a low job success.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
robin_hyman
Community Member

Sunbal M wrote:

Hi Upwork Community

I want to highlight an issue and need to know more about it. I am working on upwork from a few months and i started working with a client. She gave me instant jobs for her writing work, and gave me 5 stars on public feedback as well. I got only 2-3 other clients, and most of the time i was working with her. 

I got 100% appraisal from all the other clients as well. But my job success appeard to be 53% when it appeared for the first time. I got worried, and the first thought came into my mind was that might be she was not not recommendting me in hidden feedback so that i do not get to apply for other jobs and be her writer only.

Then i checked her other hired Freelancers and i was surprised, everyone has a job score of 53-60%. Then i searched there other reviews and it was fine. I am 100% sure that the client did it delieberatly. I stopped working for her, got another project, and my client recommendtaion went up from 35% to 40% with one job only. 

I want Your help to guide me in this matter, i dont know what to do or how to report the person. I am sure that if upwork community or experts check the hidden feedback of that client for every freelancer, they will know that she is doing it just to make writers work only for her in a low job success.

Thanks

Sunbal,

The client did nothing wrong.  He/she has every right to hire you and provide whatever feedback he/she wants to submit publicly and privately.  And you have every right not to work with him/her.  

Unfortunately you just have to move on and focus on getting that JSS up.  Right now you're accepting $10 jobs writing blogs.  You'll end up working with difficult clients expecting everything for very little compensation.  While you claim to be an English writer, I found grammatical errors in your profile.  

Work smart!

Good luck,

Robin

Robin H wrote:

The client did nothing wrong.  He/she has every right to hire you and provide whatever feedback he/she wants to submit publicly and privately.  And you have every right not to work with him/her.  

I disagree; I think that this is worth reporting. If the client gives everybody terrible feedback, then I think that Upwork sometimes takes that into consideration and removes it.

I can empathise, because one of my very first clients on Elance hired me over and over again but never left any feedback. I eventually asked him why, and he said that it was because he didn't want anybody else to hire me. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the OP is correct about this client's motive. 

I disagree; I think that this is worth reporting. If the client gives everybody terrible feedback, then I think that Upwork sometimes takes that into consideration and removes it.

I doubt Upwork will do anything about the client.  Especially if she spends $$.  Just as you asked your client, the OP can do the same before reporting her.  

Robin H wrote:

I doubt Upwork will do anything about the client.  Especially if she spends $$.  Just as you asked your client, the OP can do the same before reporting her.  

The Upwork algorithm proactively recognizes clients with a sustained history of poor outcomes and excludes their feedback (public and private) from all (!) their freelancers' JSS so if that client had really single-handedly wrecked the JSS of a bunch of freelancers, that would have been flagged by now.

Also, the OP works in a segment of the writing-market where the most difficult clients live: The ones who hire "writers" who clearly don't write at native-level English for peanuts and then ding their feedback for the fact that the cheap results they get aren't written in perfect English.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Sunbal,

We won't be able to share of comment on private feedback clients provide on contracts. We also won't be able to go into detail regarding the way each specific contract affected your Job Success score. 

However, as Petra correctly noted, we track freelancer feedback of clients and flag those clients with a history of poor collaboration. If one of your clients has been flagged (or has been suspended for Terms of Service violations), then the client's feedback will not count against your score.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths