I Want to refund some money to my client

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 30

re: "Can you explain better how is this a TOS violation?"

Arens,

Don't try to logic it out.

It's not about that.

Stephen and I aren't trying to explain Upwork's policy or discuss ethics.

We're simply responding to the many messages we have read from people who have done far less "egregious" acts than what Amir is contemplating, and have been suspended or terminated for it.

Remember: People can have their entire financial account put on hold and made inaccessible for suspected exchanges of money outside of the established protocol. There doesn't need to be an overt act, just suspicion. And the suspicion doesn't have to come from a human being. It can be an automated algorithm that suspects Amir of doing something untoward.

Does Amir really want to take a change that neither an over-zealous (or appropriately-zealous) Upwork worker or an eager Upwork automated algorithm won't detect this and block all his money from being withdrawn, or terminate him from the platform?

The answer is: No, Amir doesn't want to take that chance.

Upwork doesn't want people messing around with the money paths. That's how they make their profit.

Any hint that money is changing hands other than through Upwork is verboten. Don't tug on Superman's cape.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
12 of 30

Just to quickly concur with Preston - the question isn't whether it's a violation to the letter that could be tested in  a court - it's whether it would have a serious risk of tripping one of Upwork's multiple unkown, un-understood tripwires that at best would lead to inconvenience, and at worst to permanently goodbye Uwork. You're advising someone to take that risk....Mine and Preston's opinion (I guess, though I don't speak for him) is that the "reasonable" freelancer wouldn't want to take that risk...

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
13 of 30
A word to the wise is sufficient.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Ace Contributor
Arens M Member Since: Mar 15, 2015
14 of 30

@Stephen B wrote:

Just to quickly concur with Preston - the question isn't whether it's a violation to the letter that could be tested in  a court - it's whether it would have a serious risk of tripping one of Upwork's multiple unkown, un-understood tripwires that at best would lead to inconvenience, and at worst to permanently goodbye Uwork. You're advising someone to take that risk....Mine and Preston's opinion (I guess, though I don't speak for him) is that the "reasonable" freelancer wouldn't want to take that risk...

I understand. Btw, to make it clear to my friend Amir, he should pay with paypal/western union/bank transfer/stripe or any possible method out there. the 20$ and not have JS going down here on upwork.
Now talking about the termination of his account, how will upwork now if the payment is outside upwork? (sorry just curious)

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 30

Hi Arens,

I would like to note that all transactions related to a contract made on Upwork have to be done through our platform.

Thank you for your understanding.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
16 of 30

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Arens,

I would like to note that all transactions related to a contract made on Upwork have to be done through our platform.

Thank you for your understanding.

Valeria I understand and 100% agree with it. I have only one question, why should the freelancer in this case suffer because of the client mistake? After refunding what will happen to the JS?

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
17 of 30

I had to refund some money because I client mistakenly sent a payment to me instead of to the person it was supposed to go to.

My JS did not go down and when I asked about it, I was informed that the refund would not affect my JS.

Community Guru
18 of 30

@ Arens,

Why are you encouraging him to break the regulations. I am curious. And don't be surprised If you find your own account being flagged after this little discussion.

I would make sure to investigate your account. Probably suspend you just for misleading other freelancers and encouraging them to break the TOS.

Ace Contributor
19 of 30

@Setu M wrote:

@ Arens,

Why are you encouraging him to break the regulations. I am curious. And don't be surprised If you find your own account being flagged after this little discussion.

I would make sure to investigate your account. Probably suspend you just for misleading other freelancers and encouraging them to break the TOS.

You are welcome to check my account. Cheers.
I'm not encouraging no one. Just showing you some holes of the upwork system. They can't ask someone to refund money because of a client mistake and have the freelancers JS go down.
Why don't you read the real meaning of my posts?

PS. I always ask to my clients to pay me on upwork if not I will not accept any contract or work with them at all. However, take it easy. I got nothing to hide.

Community Guru
20 of 30

@ Arens,

The real meaning of your post is in black and white to the many freelancers who visit the Community daily looking for answers. Many of them barely understand English much more sarcasm in written language and such. It is irresponsible to write things in the manner you did.

"I understand. Btw, to make it clear to my friend Amir, he should pay with paypal/western union/bank transfer/stripe or any possible method out there. the 20$ and not have JS going down here on upwork.
Now talking about the termination of his account, how will upwork now if the payment is outside upwork? (sorry just curious)"

What real meaning you speak of, because I am also lost. The directive you are giving to the OP is to return the funds outside of Upwork to save his JS score, and on top of that there is no way Upwork can be found out. You cannot give poor advice so frivolously and then try to defend it.

As a matter of fact the posts should have been removed bu the Mods. It is good that you are smart to be squeaky clean in your career, therefore do not mislead the ignorant.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS