cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Want to refund some money to my client

Ace Contributor
Maria C Member Since: Feb 3, 2015
21 of 30

Amir, if you must refund, do it through Upwork and be prepared to take a hit on your JS score. Unfair? Totally, because it was his mistake, not yours. But we all must comply with the Terms of Use.

I am not questioning Upwork's policy to allow money exchange only through the site. It makes perfect sense, they are running a business and they are entitled to their profit. I am stating the obvious here and nobody should break this rule.

What I find utterly upseting is the fact that a freelancer has to take the hit for another person's fault. How about creating an option that allows the client and freelancer enter the reason why the refund was issued? For instance, "Job not done", or "My mistake, oops" and depending on that, the JS score changes or keeps the same.

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
22 of 30
Alot of these things - like refunding affecting you negatively - came about as a result of people abusing the system. Refunds were an easy option to remove a poor review from public view. It was also used in cases of disintermediation. I am not defending the current policy, but I can understand how this became an issue.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
23 of 30

Hi Amir,

It looks like there is an issue with your account that has to be sorted out before you are able to initiate a refund. Please, communicate with Support through the open ticket to resolve the issue. 

Thank you for your patience.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
24 of 30

So I found something in the help section that may be of use. Freelancers are actually NOT responsible for refunding a Client who made a payment to their account in error. I am not saying that you should not refund, I am saying that it is not your responsibility (if you are concerned about JS score etc).

Mistakes happen!  And if you happened to make one on a fixed-price payment, please contact Customer Support within 24 hours. We will review the issue and determine if it is possible to reverse your payment. 

Please contact us if you:

• Accidentally entered the wrong amount, like too many zeros 
    • For example, you wanted to pay $20.00, but you issued $200.00 by mistake.
  • Made an unnecessary extra payment 
    • For example, you were making payments to everyone on your team, but two of your hires have very similar names/titles so you accidentally sent payment to one of your contractors twice.
  • Discover a serious policy violation concerning your freelancer within 24 hours of making a payment.

https://support.upwork.com/entries/23151473-What-can-I-do-if-I-made-a-mistake-when-submitting-paymen...

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
25 of 30

Setu, thanks for providing that information.

So clearly Upwork is not as unfair as some people in this thread seemed to have assumed.

So if I'm accidentally paid money by a client, I sure as heck am not going to send them money through PayPal. All I need to do is tell them: "Greg, oh my goodness, don't worry about this. I totally understand that mistakes happen and I absolutely don't want somebody else's pay to remain in my account. There aren't actually any controls on my contractor-side interface for reversing a mistaken payment. But Upwork has posted posted information that makes it clear you can contact customer support and have a payment reversed. Please go ahead and do this, and if they need to contact me to verify I'll be standing by to do so."

Community Guru
26 of 30
@ Preston
I like reading the official material these days, because now I am equipped with the best thing to reply here and to a client, and even provide an official link.

I am sure this one will come in handy.
Ace Contributor
Arens M Member Since: Mar 15, 2015
27 of 30

We assumed it because there is no information easy to find. Valeria replied as well in this thread but did not mention anything about it.
That is a good thing to know that our JS remains unchanged after refund.

Community Guru
28 of 30

@arens M wrote:

Is this a question or a statement?

Ace Contributor
Arens M Member Since: Mar 15, 2015
29 of 30

@Setu M wrote:

@arens M wrote:

Is this a question or a statement?

Do you see any "?" in the end of my sentence? Usually, that's a question.

Amir I Member Since: Nov 15, 2014
30 of 30

i have sent more then 6 messages but the reply i always get from support is "the issue is currently being reviewed by our Engineering team for a possible resolution. We will let you know as soon as we have received an update from them." and its more then a week now they didn't reply.

very bad support. upwork is only care for making money. what is happening and what to fix they don't care. i guess

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS