🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I almost did get my first client.
Page options
cszeman
Community Member

I almost did get my first client.

Hello,

I thought that I would start freelancing for the first time today on another site. Unfortunately, the person that I was suppose to coach to help with his podcast chose someone else. Has this ever happened to anybody? I am speaking mostly to those that wanted to get their first client onty to have the client cancel on you. How did you deal with it? And I am still looking for freelance work right now.

10 REPLIES 10
kinector
Community Member

The tough reality is that you won't get any feedback for any "why" question you might have. All you get is your own reflection and theories that you can try to test next time.

Live and learn.

cszeman
Community Member

Hello,

The client did mention that they found someone that lives a block away from him that can help him out. That was the reason for the rejection.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Christina S wrote:

Hello,

I thought that I would start freelancing for the first time today on another site. Unfortunately, the person that I was suppose to coach to help with his podcast chose someone else. Has this ever happened to anybody? I am speaking mostly to those that wanted to get their first client onty to have the client cancel on you. How did you deal with it? And I am still looking for freelance work right now.

I would be very surprised if there are any freelancers that that hasn't happened to. It is not worth your time to post in the forum about it. 

Hello,

The reason why I posted here is that I have a problem with rejection. I just want to know if this has happened to others who are trying it for the first time.

petra_r
Community Member

Christina S wrote:

The reason why I posted here is that I have a problem with rejection.

You want need to get over that real fast if you want to freelance on any platform. Even the most successful freelancers get rejected on a daily basis.

cszeman
Community Member

Hello,

I know. but I do have Rejected Sensitivity Dysphoria. I have been rejected many times. I'm in my 40s and there were times that, even though I am in the industry for a long time, that I am still being called newbie.

I have been unemployed since April and been on this site for years, and I still don't have a freelance job.I have tried reading all the upwork blogs, but I am still not getting any clients biting. 

I am also still looking for brick and mortar jobs, and I have gotten no interviews whatsoever. So you see my problem with rejection.

I just want to know how others handle this, so I can do it better.

thabip
Community Member

Hang in there. Something will come up.💝
cszeman
Community Member

Hello,

Thanks for the encouragement. I am currently looking for both Freelance and regular jobs at the moment. I am also creating my website. I will not be podcasting coaching right now. I am also doing some market research on both my Freelance and Entrepreneurial endeavors. In the meantime I will keep trying to find clients here and on my own through networking somehow.

Hi Christina, how are you? Yes, this happens to many, I had the same situation. One can't do much except keep applying to jobs. One can't force them to hire us lol 😞

tlbp
Community Member

Freelance platforms are a rough place in general. You can find really nice clients but you'll also find scammers and people who just disappear on you. If you are just getting started, be sure to check out the New to Upwork section under the Community Discussions and read the stickied threads about getting started. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members