🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: I am a newbie and I need some guidance on...
Page options
021b985f
Community Member

I am a newbie and I need some guidance on a hourly rate job.

Hi guys, I am a newbie on here. Joined Upwork a few days ago 😊

I am discussing a job with a client at the moment. I provided samples of my previous work and the client liked it. It is an hourly rate job. The job involves managing RSVPs for a wedding (including sending out invitations and managing the status in a customized spreadsheet). The next step pretty much will be to confirm the job with the client.

The client may start sending out some "save the dates" by the end of this week/beginning of next week. For the wedding, it will be a variety of events with around 200 guests.

I have 3 major questions:

1. Is the next step, once we have agreed on job details and hourly rate, for the client to send a contract to me on Upwork and I accept it? And use the tracker to track my working hours and work diaries when I start working the job task?

2. It's my first time doing freelance since I've worked full-time for all my previous work experiences. I'm not sure if my understanding of the calculation of charge is right. I don't know even if this is a silly question, but I need help!😂

Is the hourly rate calculated based on (Hourly rate x Working hours x Working days)?

As an example, if my hourly rate is $5 and the job task will need me from 9am to 6pm (9 hrs) and from 1 Jan to 31 Jan (31 days), does that mean $5 x 9 hrs x 31 days?

3. How do freelancers charge for this kind of job?

I would appreciate any help in starting my journey on Upwork. Thank you guys!

Cheers:clinking_beer_mugs:

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Your hourly rate is the rate in your profile. You use the time tracker for the hours you work on this. I don't know what you mean agree on an hourly rate. You charge the rate on your profile. If you don't like the rate, change it, but not in the middle of talks with a potential client, only with the next. 

Don't accept this job before you have read the tips for newbies. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Your hourly rate is the rate in your profile. You use the time tracker for the hours you work on this. I don't know what you mean agree on an hourly rate. You charge the rate on your profile. If you don't like the rate, change it, but not in the middle of talks with a potential client, only with the next. 

Don't accept this job before you have read the tips for newbies. 

Thank you Martina! Wow I am impressed how active this community is, I love it! The tips are very useful to clear some of the confusion. I have no worries now since the fixed rate is listed in the profile and I don't need to change. All I need to confirm is the job details! 🙂

Yes this community is great.  It's a good idea to read through here and come back often.  It's better to read and learn about projects going wrong than have it happen to you.

Yes, Julie. I will spend some times surfing on the community, a lot of dicussion that I can take notes with❤️

data_divas
Community Member

The client should sent you an offer and you accept it, then you have a contact.

Yes always use the tracker to track your time.  In your example you would be paid $5.00 per hour X hours worked. You would only track time for actual hours worked, they may need you to be available but may not always have work for that time frame/days.  I don't know?

Upwork will take 20% of your earnings until you reach $500 per client then it's 10%.

Thanks Julie! I have a better concept of the rate calculation and thanks for reminding me about the 20% fee, almost forget that.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths