cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a newbie and this is what i found out about Upwork.

joelabu
Joe L Member Since: Aug 29, 2015
1 of 19

Hi all,

I am new in this freelancer line. I use to be on Elance, but that is only as a client looking for freelancers to do the job for me. So, in Upwork, i become the freelancer as a graphic designer. I am here for only 3 weeks and this is what i found out.

I found out that, Upwork is just a Fiverr in disguise. Clients wanting a Logo for $5 bucks? Are they kidding? I hate that and don't bother to submit a proposal. I am new so i need to build my portfolio so i just recently got a job for Logo design for $10. I did my utmost and he is happy with my work and proceed to ask me to do 5 banners for $15. Tried to negotiate but to no avail. With building a portfolio in mind, i did it anyway, and the client is happy.

I did suggest to Upwork, that they should charge a 1 time joining fee, maybe say $50, for Clients, these is to deter the waste-my-time kind of people. We freelancers really appreciate out connects tokens. Now i am very selective of how i submit my proposal. 

I also suggest that 30 days for a Client to choose a freelancers before the period expires and tokens are return to us, is too long. Set a 10 day rule. I have a 2 week proposal still pending! 

Sorry peeps, just ranting.. Smiley Wink

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 19

"I also suggest that 30 days for a Client to choose a freelancers before the period expires and tokens are return to us, is too long. Set a 10 day rule. I have a 2 week proposal still pending! "

Yeah, no. 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
3 of 19

Joe,

You negotiated, all right. You negotiated $10 for a logo. End of story.

Feel free to impose your own client requirement of $50, or $500, for a logo. Upwork ain't gonna do it for you.

Best,

Michael

joelabu
4 of 19

That's not the point Mike. The point is Client should know there is a different between Fiverr and Upwork.

Like i said, as a newbie, i can't be choosy..

Just say that my client got more than what he paid for. 

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
5 of 19

"Just say that my client got more than what he paid for."

Yes. That's because you gave him more than he paid for.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
joelabu
6 of 19

@fergus M wrote:

Isn't that what we freelancers should aim for? 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 19

@Joe L wrote:

@fergus M wrote:

Isn't that what we freelancers should aim for? 

No. Freelancers should aim for being able to turn down work. Or less flippantly, should aim for selling their services for what they're worth. Right now, your work history says you provide cheap work. Presumably, to prospective clients, it's worth every penny—and not a penny more.

Best,

Michael 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 19

Why do you need to build up your portfolio if you claim to have been a designer for the last 5 years?

joelabu
9 of 19

@Jennifer M wrote:

Why do you need to build up your portfolio if you claim to have been a designer for the last 5 years?

Because , unlike you i am a slow learner so it takes time to get where i am today.. Not saying im there yet but im better 5 years ago.  And also, i've been designing for leisure so maybe my work at that time is not up to standard. 

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
10 of 19

"Isn't that what we freelancers should aim for?"

No. I aim to give my clients exactly what they pay for - well researched, high quality, compelling writing. And if I deliver an article worth $50 I expect to be paid $50 for it. If I accept $25 I'm certainly giving the client more than he paid for, but I'm also being a lousy businessman.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS