🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I am disappointed working in *Edited*
Page options
camillacamille
Community Member

I am disappointed working in *Edited*

hello, I just want to share my experience as a Brand Ambassador, I received an invitation from that company to work with them and we have discussed the payment as well. They asked me to update my Linkedin profile to get approved as a Brand Ambassador, After that I spread the word by sending 100 contact requests on Linkedin to the people from their list and using the material they've shared with me. This has to be done 7 days a week and costs roughly 20-40 min a day, however, the work is more than 1 hour a day, including all the updates and modifications in our shared documents, etc.. Every month they are paying via Upwork  (100 contacts per day = $5USD) in case I fulfilled the work daily. so I finish the task for the whole month, but they only paid me $22.30  less service fee of $3.46 less $1 so my total earning for the whole month is only $17.84. Well, they told me before that I need to send 100 contacts per day for $5, after a month while waiting for my pay, they told me that it is not $5 but it's 0.5 per 100. I feel scammed, and disappointed coz that's not what they explained to me before. so, as a freelancer, I completed the task and waited for my pay after a month and I just received $17.84.. that is really unfair. so after I received my pay, I quit the job. and then they suspended the contract. so, I just hope that sharing this experience serves as a warning to everyone.  I know Upwork is a good place for everyone and not all clients are bad, I am still grateful and, I know I deserve better And I will not give up until a person dares see my potential. Thank you

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Christine A wrote:

If the contract was supposed to pay $5/day, then the client should have put $155 into the escrow account when they hired you, and only then should you have started working. Better yet, you could have set up a milestone for just one week to see whether this was an honest client, before you wasted an entire month. Then they wouldn't have been able to scam you.

My understaning is that the client hired her to generate 100 contacts per day at a rate of $5 for these 100 contacts (100 contacts per day = $5USD). Since there were less than 100 contacts per day he paid 0.5 per contact.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

If the contract was supposed to pay $5/day, then the client should have put $155 into the escrow account when they hired you, and only then should you have started working. Better yet, you could have set up a milestone for just one week to see whether this was an honest client, before you wasted an entire month. Then they wouldn't have been able to scam you.

Christine A wrote:

My understaning is that the client hired her to generate 100 contacts per day at a rate of $5 for these 100 contacts (100 contacts per day = $5USD). Since there were less than 100 contacts per day he paid 0.5 per contact.

I actually completed the task per day and send 100 contacts. for the whole month, I completed 3,243 sent invites and 258 active connections. the agreement was, they will pay me $5 per 100 contacts. I sent them a message here in Upwork as well, but they never replied back. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I tried to reach out because I saw that the escrow is $5 I got confused,
and they told me that The minimum amount to open a contract on Upwork is 5
USD so that is why the contract stay that amount but when they calculate
the monthly salary, they pay 0.5 USD per request.

I just really don't want to argue with anymore, the best way is to pray for
them and quit the job.

But this is a lesson for me as well. Take chances, make mistakes, that's
how you grow,

Camille C wrote:
I tried to reach out because I saw that the escrow is $5 I got confused,
and they told me that The minimum amount to open a contract on Upwork is 5
USD so that is why the contract stay that amount but when they calculate
the monthly salary, they pay 0.5 USD per request.

I just really don't want to argue with anymore, the best way is to pray for
them and quit the job.

But this is a lesson for me as well. Take chances, make mistakes, that's
how you grow,

If you don't learn how to use Upwork properly, then you will make more mistakes like this. So the next time there is only $5 in the escrow account, then you should only do $5 worth of work. Then the client should put another payment into escrow if they want you to do more work.

Hi Christine, Thank you for giving me advice about it. I just started Upwork I guess in November 2019, and I will definitely learn how to use Upwork, and in addition, I even told them I need to submit Milestones every week, but they insist there is no need. But yeah, thank you so much for the response. I will keep this in mind, 

Camille C wrote:

Hi Christine, Thank you for giving me advice about it. I just started Upwork I guess in November 2019, and I will definitely learn how to use Upwork, and in addition, I even told them I need to submit Milestones every week, but they insist there is no need. But yeah, thank you so much for the response. I will keep this in mind, 

Good. So, the second lesson is: don't let clients bully you. Nobody can force you to agree to terms that make you uncomfortable; you have the power to say yes or no to a project.

Hi Christine, saying no can be a real challenge. Learning how to say no politely is a critical skill to develop. As a freelancer, it can be tempting to say “yes” to every client or project that comes your way. After all, who knows when the next job will come along? And, no matter what happens, it’ll be worth it in the end … right? But I get that now, The truth is, there are plenty of reasons to say no to a client or a project. Whatever the situation, you’re going to run into situations where it’s in your best interest to decline—and if you don’t master the art of saying no, it can lead to resentment, overwhelm, and burnout. Yes, you are absolutely correct, It's so important to learn how to say no politely to a client. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths