🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I am no longer getting hired, help!
Page options
raven-wolfe
Community Member

I am no longer getting hired, help!

Hello everyone,

I have no idea what is happening, but I am no longer getting hired to projects I qualify for and send a tailored proposal to. This is really frustrating and embarrassing. 

I have sent loads of proposals but none converted. This is unlike my past experience where 1 in 4 proposals result either in a job or interview. However, at this time, nothing. 

Has anyone experienced this sort of situation ever? Please, take a look at my profile and let me know what your thoughts are. 

My profile.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
robbie-b
Community Member

Your job success score is 80%. That's probably changed. Some clients will see that as 4/5ths of your clients get a great experience. Other, half glass empty types, will see it as 1 in 5 didn't have a great experience, take the safer option and find a freelancer with better client success stories. 

Might want to go to your past clients and make offers to put things right, but only if you did enjoy working with them. 

But...

Look down your ratings in comparison to your feedback. The less you're being paid, the worse ratings your clients are giving. That's a red flag. You have clients paying higher rates leaving you good feedback. The ones that don't, only pay <$5 and they're tanking your profile.

The worse your job score is, the more your profile is hurt. There are some clients will do that so they can keep you working for them at the lower rates.

On the other hand, when you're being paid low rates, you're not incentivized to go all-in. So, I'd imagine (and do tell me if I'm wrong) when you were paid $4 and $5 per hour, you did do a poor job. Cos you didn't value the client for not valuing you. Set yourself a minimum rate you'll work for and don't go below it.

When you sell yourself short, you'll wind up over-promising and under-delivering. That needs to be turned around. 

Re-evaluate where you are. You have experience and feedback. Review your ratings. 

• skills,
    • availability,
    • communication,
    • quality,
    • deadlines,
    • cooperation

See where clients feel you could improve. The majority I see that aren't giving 5, are not saying you aren't skilled. They're putting 4. Deadlines appear to a problem for you. As does communication. Those two go hand in hand. If you aren't going to make a deadline, don't hide from it. Tell your client you're having an issue. They'd rather know up-front that they won't have their work on-time, instead of checking their email with their fingers crossed you'll pull it off. 

Nobody's perfect, mistakes happen, heck, life happens. But, given you're working for yourself, you need to be accountable. Take the criticism and work with it. 

• I need to start making deadlines. 

Sure, give yourself more time to meet them. 

I need to improve my communication

The odd check-in with your client just to let them know how things are progressing. At least they'll know it's coming along. 

This one will be a big one with new clients you land just now because of the lower job score. With 80% success, you are asking clients to take a punt on you. It is worthwhile checking in with clients during the job and asking for feedback. It's better to know at the half-way point where your client feels you're letting them down so you can put things right before the review stage arrives. 

Going forward, see what you can do better for your clients and do something for yourself. Like, right, the goal here is to give a 5-star experience. I'm going to check in with the client on Wednesday and let them know how the project's moving along. You're rated on deadlines and communication, so if you're gonna be late, you may as tell them and get a higher rate for communication. 

Ifeanyi N wrote:

Has anyone experienced this sort of situation ever? 

Yes. Lower job score after some health problems. Harder time landing jobs, and the ones I did wasn't my usual rate. It was a trade. I'll do this for you if you do this for me. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
robbie-b
Community Member

Your job success score is 80%. That's probably changed. Some clients will see that as 4/5ths of your clients get a great experience. Other, half glass empty types, will see it as 1 in 5 didn't have a great experience, take the safer option and find a freelancer with better client success stories. 

Might want to go to your past clients and make offers to put things right, but only if you did enjoy working with them. 

But...

Look down your ratings in comparison to your feedback. The less you're being paid, the worse ratings your clients are giving. That's a red flag. You have clients paying higher rates leaving you good feedback. The ones that don't, only pay <$5 and they're tanking your profile.

The worse your job score is, the more your profile is hurt. There are some clients will do that so they can keep you working for them at the lower rates.

On the other hand, when you're being paid low rates, you're not incentivized to go all-in. So, I'd imagine (and do tell me if I'm wrong) when you were paid $4 and $5 per hour, you did do a poor job. Cos you didn't value the client for not valuing you. Set yourself a minimum rate you'll work for and don't go below it.

When you sell yourself short, you'll wind up over-promising and under-delivering. That needs to be turned around. 

Re-evaluate where you are. You have experience and feedback. Review your ratings. 

• skills,
    • availability,
    • communication,
    • quality,
    • deadlines,
    • cooperation

See where clients feel you could improve. The majority I see that aren't giving 5, are not saying you aren't skilled. They're putting 4. Deadlines appear to a problem for you. As does communication. Those two go hand in hand. If you aren't going to make a deadline, don't hide from it. Tell your client you're having an issue. They'd rather know up-front that they won't have their work on-time, instead of checking their email with their fingers crossed you'll pull it off. 

Nobody's perfect, mistakes happen, heck, life happens. But, given you're working for yourself, you need to be accountable. Take the criticism and work with it. 

• I need to start making deadlines. 

Sure, give yourself more time to meet them. 

I need to improve my communication

The odd check-in with your client just to let them know how things are progressing. At least they'll know it's coming along. 

This one will be a big one with new clients you land just now because of the lower job score. With 80% success, you are asking clients to take a punt on you. It is worthwhile checking in with clients during the job and asking for feedback. It's better to know at the half-way point where your client feels you're letting them down so you can put things right before the review stage arrives. 

Going forward, see what you can do better for your clients and do something for yourself. Like, right, the goal here is to give a 5-star experience. I'm going to check in with the client on Wednesday and let them know how the project's moving along. You're rated on deadlines and communication, so if you're gonna be late, you may as tell them and get a higher rate for communication. 

Ifeanyi N wrote:

Has anyone experienced this sort of situation ever? 

Yes. Lower job score after some health problems. Harder time landing jobs, and the ones I did wasn't my usual rate. It was a trade. I'll do this for you if you do this for me. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members